Ich Still around after a week

Arrow1oo

Well Known
Reaction score
So I have a 20 gallon quarantine tank with 6 cardinals. They had an ich issue starting about a week ago.

I've since then raised the temp to 86 (instructed by some members here) and was told that heat alone should resolve it.

I do see a significant decrease in ich on the fish, but still a few small white spots remain mostly on fins and tail.

Should I be worried since a week has gone by or is this in schedule. Just want to make sure the treatment I am using is working. They are active, eat well and only one has a slightly damaged tail fin that is healing

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You’re doing fine. Most recommendations say to keep the temp at 86 for 2 weeks, but heavier infestations would need even longer. Make sure you are doing a good gravel vac every few days to suck up as many eggs as you can.

OP
Arrow1oo

Arrow1oo

Well Known
Reaction score
UnknownUser said:
You’re doing fine. Most recommendations say to keep the temp at 86 for 2 weeks, but heavier infestations would need even longer. Make sure you are doing a good gravel vac every few days to suck up as many eggs as you can.
I need to up the vacuuming I think to help with that. It is bare bottom but I don't really see eggs, mostly just poop lol.

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It usually takes about two weeks for ich to disappear. Unless you are still seeing spots at two weeks then I wouldn’t worry. I don’t think you’ll see the eggs since they’re so tiny. Can you just vacuum the bottom of the tank?

OP
Arrow1oo

Arrow1oo

Well Known
Reaction score
jkkgron2 said:
It usually takes about two weeks for ich to disappear. Unless you are still seeing spots at two weeks then I wouldn’t worry. I don’t think you’ll see the eggs since they’re so tiny. Can you just vacuum the bottom of the tank?
Yea I can, ill do it today I think it's been like 3 or 4 days since

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree I don’t think the eggs are visible, and I’m actually surprised you have ich in a bare bottom tank. Ich spends some of it’s life cycle in the substrate. But since you know it’s ich, I would just swirl the siphon around the bottom.

New Threads