Ich Spots Disappeared, But Then Came Back After Weeks Of Heat Treatment

1. S

Sirens New Member Member

I have a planted 36 gallon tank, it's fully cycled, and currently houses only 6 zebra danios. I've been feeding them New Life Spectrum pellets which contain garlic.

About 3 weeks ago I noticed a white spot on one of them. So that same day, I gradually increased the heat to 86 degrees. I have a digital thermometer on the tank and sometimes I would see the temperature get to 87, but never below 86.

Over the past 3 weeks, the spot disappeared from the first fish and a few of the other fish would develop one spot, and then those spots disappeared too. I did two water changes per week, trying to vacuum the substrate as thoroughly as possible around the plants.

As of today it HAD been about 6 days since I saw a single spot on any of the fish. Except when I was checking the fish about an hour ago, one of them had developed another white spot.

I had been thinking I would be able to turn the heat back down soon, but now I obviously can't. What would cause a fish to develop another ich spot when I've been heat treating for a few weeks? I feel like this is never going to end. :/

2. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Ich dies at 90 degrees. All 86 is doing is giving the ich a nice sun tan.

Garlic is not a medicine.

3. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

How many days did you do the heat treatment at 86 degrees?

Here are some guidelines for using heat to eradicate Ich parasite:
    Using Heat to Treat Ich in Freshwater Tropical Fish - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish