Ich! Seachem Paragaurd Or Cupramine???

1. C

Carmelo Mcdonald New Member Member

I noticed some white specs on 2 of my clown loaches today and started panicking since my tank is pretty stocked! Mainly Malawi Cichlids. Water permanents are perfect. I wanted to use Cupramine because it works FAST but Im also worried itll kill off my Beneficial Bacteria. The guy at my local fish store said it should only take about 3 days but when you have $300+ in your tank its hard not to second guess and panic!!!! Ive heard paraguard is less harsh but takes almost a month to fully work and am worried things will get out of control by then. What do you guys think? Thanks so much!

Carmelo

2. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

I use Paraguard for ich. The spots fall off in a couple days just like most any other Med that contains malachite green or victoria green. Not sure where you heard 30 days but it isn't remotely close to factual. I treat 4-6 days, at least two days past the ich falling off the fish. Then a single dose seven days later with no WCs for at least a few days.

3. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

if it's ich , just move them to a QT tank and raise the temp to 86F and daily water changes with vacuuming of sand/gravel within a week or so it should be gone.

4. OP
    OP
    C

I know I'm gonna get a lot of hate for this but I dont have a QT tank. I raised the temp to 85 in my main tank though and I've been doing daily gravel vacs about 15 gallons each. Also would it be bad to add medicine just to be safe? I'm afraid it'll get out of hand if I dont do something while its minimal.

5. O

Don't combine Meds and high heat. They both add stress. Pick a strategy and go with it. There are a lot of heat fans on the forum. I don't like cooking my fish for two weeks when there are gentle Meds available that show results in a couple days that aquarists have been using successful for forty years that I am aware of.

6. OP
    OP
    C

Oh! Sorry! .I already have some Cupramine my friend gave me for free, would you recommend I just get the Paragaurd? Also no water changes while I'm medicating either?

7. O

Use whatever Med you prefer. I happen to prefer Paraguard because I find it safe for all fish and BB. Doesn't harm my plants either. Partial water changes are generally recommended by Med manufacturer. Gravel vacuuming is important anyway. I just refrain from WCs when I do a final dose a week later to kill the survivors if any.

There are a lot of Meds that treat ich effectively. Malachite Green was popular when I entered the hobby in the 1970s. It still works.

8. JesseMoreira06

I disagree especially in a main tank , I wouldn't add meds , even if it's seachem paraguard which btw I think is a great product.

No one's cooking fish at 86f lol relax.

meds and raising temps in surten situation are nessecary just thought I may add.

9. O

The species in the tank has a lot to do with determining the best strategy. And there are strains of ich that can survive to about 89F which is a little much for many fish.

10. JesseMoreira06

we all have deferent ways of fish keeping , I try my best to stay the natural course especially with fish that are more sensitive to meds.

11. O

IMO it's only natural if the temp is somewhere close to the fishes natural range. I'll leave it alone now. You are right. We will all do it how we please and justify our method.

12. JesseMoreira06

natural but were not talking about 86f for 8 months out of the year were talking about 86f for a week or a week and half at most, but yes I'm also done haha , we all have our own ways.

but I do agree with you seachem paraguard is really good. I do use it when needed.

13. Herkimur

Herkimur Well Known Member Member

Do not use Cupramine with Prime.
    Says so right on Seachem's web site.

Just a piece of info in case you didn't know. Haven't read others replies so it might've already been mentioned.

14. OP
    OP
    C

I did a water change earlier and just dosed with cupramine...... ME

15. OP
    OP
    C

When I do water changes I add prime......

16. JesseMoreira06

Prime like all water conditioners is a reducing agent, it has the potential to reduce the Cupramine from the safe Cu2+ form to a very toxic Cu+ form.

Honestly never experienced this but I would probably think a huge water change would be needed and add some carbon to remove the copper for a few days and start over.