Ich resistant to medication

Hello community,

I have a 10gal tank with mostly corydoras catfish and they are infected with Ich. I've tried various malachite-based medications for weeks on end now (i.e. Paraguard) but none of them are working. Was wondering if I should buy new medication with a new active ingredient, and which one would you recommend.
Water parameters are all good, except for nitrate which is a bit high (haven't changed the water much due to current medication).

Thank you very much.

Advertisement
kbn
In my experience, the salt method works best in treating ich.

If your catfish are in a planted tank , I suggest moving them to a quarantine tank because I don't really think plants like salt a lot.
Take a teaspoon of aquarium or sea salt for every gallon of water in your tank. Dissolve this salt in a separate container of aquarium water and add slowly to the tank.
Slightly raise the temperature to speed up the life cycle of the ich. This makes sure that the ich parasites break out of the white cysts faster and get killed by the salt. Do this for a week and a half with daily 20% water changes (dont forget to replace the salt lost)and your fish will be completely cured. Don't use the medication with the salt as there is always a possibility of a bad reaction happening and your fish getting adversely affected.

This salt also provides relief for the fish, so it's good for the fish as well. I saw almost immediate relief in my fish, they stopped wriggling around the decor and turned normal after a few minutes .

Hope this helps!

Advertisement
GlennO
Paraguard is not a very strong treatment for Ich and it's failed for me as well. It's more of a multi-cure that is most beneficial for use in quarantine situations. For persistent or moderate to heavy infestations I'd recommend an Ich specific malachite green & formaldehyde treatment.

Berryblue
Increasing the temperature is also an effective method. Turn your heater up to 83-85 (gradually over a day) and you will start seeing results over a week and then it gets better in two weeks. I haven't used the salt method but that might work too.

DoubleDutch
Got any pics ? Is it really Ich?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jolee64
Replies
Views
david1978
  • Question
Replies
Views