Ich :( rasa frasa snaza crasa

Karl R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok 40 gal ph 7.2 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, 5ppm nitrate. Tank is planted one of my plattys just had fry and now has ich I raised my temp to 86fh, I did a 50% water change then added stress coat after I removed the filter cartridges from and replaced in my penguin bio wheel 350. When I did the water change I vacumed the gravel. I plan on keeping the temp around 86fh for about two weeks all the while twice per week 50% water change and gravel vacs.folowed by another filter change and gravel vac at the end of two weeks. In the water for changes I will use prime as opposed to my old fairhful tetra aquasafe as a conditioner. Hopeing to avoid the unfortunate mini cycle untill the filter media has a chance to develop the necessary bacteria colony. This sound like a good solid plan to atack ich? Am I on the right path? Would adding melafix help, would I have to remove the carbon from my filter cartridges? Will melafix kill my cycle? Any input would be welcome.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Karl R,

Sorry that you're having to deal with ICH. You're on the right track. Although I'm not certain why you feel you have to do filter changes. Personally I would leave the filter alone unless it's necessary that your media be rinsed. (in siphoned tank water only).

Raising your temperature to 86 and leaving it there for two weeks should rid the ICH. 2 gravel vacuums each week is good to remove the spores that fall off the fish and into the substrate. Remember that warmer water requires more oxygen so and air stone or supply line will be good too if you aren't currently using one.

Melafix will not help with ICH so there is no need to add it. However, should you have the need for it in the future, it will not harm your beneficial bacteria. If and when you do have the need for Melafix then yes, you would remove the carbon while treating.

Best of luck for a full recovery!

Ken

Karl R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks ken I appreciate confirmation just wanted to make sure as this is my first outbreak ( excellent movie btw) of ich. I replaced the filters already didn't know I didn't need to. I am already running an airstone I just turned the pump all the way up. Now it is bubbling like mad in there. Thanks again ken.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Glad to help Karl R,

I'm not certain what you changed in your filters but keep an eye on your readings. If you threw out beneficial bacteria media you might expect a mini cycle.

Best of luck!
Ken

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom