Ich - Raised Tank Temperature, Now What?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by bstickler7, Apr 9, 2017.

1. b

bstickler7 Valued Member Member

I caught ich the day of its outbreak and have been raising my temp sense I saw. I finally got my temp the 86F. How long should. I see the ich going away? Should I do more than just raise the temp. Or should I wait and see if this helps first

2. B

Betrayer Well Known Member Member

Would you mind sharing a little more information about your tank? What size is it and what type of fish do you have? Do you know your water parameters (ph, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)? How many fish were showing symptoms of ich?

Raising the temperature can be a very effective treatment for ich. Great job catching it early and responding quickly. From what I understand, you should keep the temperature raised for two weeks. During that time, you should do partial water changes with a thorough gravel vac every 2-3 days. The white spots should fall off fairly quickly (maybe within the first several days of treatment), but you need to continue with the heat and vacuuming even if you no longer see white spots on the fish.

3. OP
    OP
    b

bstickler7 Valued Member Member

Thank you for the response :)

4. BluMan1914

BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

You just got a very good answer on how to get rid of the Ich. The only thing I suggest is that you do a every other day substrate vacuuming.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice