ich questions

1. redlessi Well Known Member Member

dealing with my first bout of ich and have some questions

if I take out the fish that has ich, is the tank still infected?

how long should you treat with meds, ie how many days/treatments?

its a goldfish without a heater, can they take heat for treatment?

thanks much

2. gremlin Well Known Member Member

The ich spores are still in the tank, so since it is only the one fish in the tank (?) you might as well treat the whole tank.

The medication - which ever one you use - will tell you how long to use it. Make sure to use it as directed in order for it to work properly.

Goldfish have a hard time at the warmer water temps needed. If you want to try using heat to treat, you can. Just watch the goldie closely for any extra signs of stress.

I have found that Ich Attack works quite well for goldfish with Ich.

3. Godfather6reat Initiate Member

is the goldfish new? if so then theres a chance that he had ich when you bought him and could of possibly infected the rest of the tank

i would put him in a different tank to medicate him i am not sure about the heat but just follow the directions on the medicine to know how long to treat him

4. redlessi Well Known Member Member

he is about 7 months old and lives in the tank alone.

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Red. Sorry to hear that you and your fish are dealing with ICH. Personally I would use the heat method. Pond temperatures in the summer will increase and the gold fish will tolerate it for a while. I think if you raised the temperature to 84 for the two weeks it will "probably" be fine. I'm not a big fan of medications. Don't forget to do 2 gravel vacuums each week to remove the spores that fall off the fish and into the substrate. Warmer waters require more oxygen so you may want to add an air stone if you aren't currently using one.

Anytime 1 fish has ICH the entire tank is infected even if the other fish aren't showing any signs of the disease. The entire tank has to be treated. (I see that your Goldie lives alone). Too, ICH may get worse before it gets better. Be sure to do the full 2 weeks with increased heat. ICH cannot reproduce in temperatures over 82 degrees so they fall off and die during the two week period.

If you decide to medicate then I would go with Gremlins advice.

Best of luck for a full recovery. Please keep us posted.

Ken

6. redlessi Well Known Member Member

After 2 doses of rid ich it does look like its clearing up. The tail rip is healing as well and no new white spots. I was supposed to give this fish away to my best friend with a 20 gal tank for him to live in. I will wait until he is healthy to do that now. The rid ich does not say how many days to use it just every 24 hours, any idea how many days??? I am also doing 40% water changes every other day with gravel vacuum is that enough?

Thanks much, you guys are the best.

7. gremlin Well Known Member Member

I usually dose until 2-3 days after no sign of ich remains.