Ich Questions???

Geno1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello,

I'm on day 2 of treatment with Kordon's ICH attack as recommended here on fishlore. The bottle says up to 5 weeks; it must be because this approach is all natural and is safe for inverts. My worry is, is it too safe to the point its not as effective as other meds. I don't know if a few of my fish can go that long. I don't really want to gamble the more I think about it. I'm wondering should I go another route, I have API's super ick treatment.

I have a 300w heater maxed out and the best it can do is maintain 85 degrees. I think I need a few more degrees for the heat to do its thing. I read 85 stops infesting, 86 stops reproduction and not till 90 does it actually kill ich. But I read if the free floaters can't attach to a host after 4 days they die. So based on that I'm at 85 so they shouldn't be able to reattach to my fish.

How long till they drop off?

Any thoughts?

Hannahfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have ich to be a variable parasite. For some, 86 degrees kills all the ich within a week, but I have had ich live through salt, heat, salt and heat, Ich Attack, and Kordon Rid Ich +. Some strains of ich can live through 90° heat. Ich usually drops off after 2-4 days, depending on strain and temperature. If the ich is mild, heat and Ich Attack might do it. If you see it becoming severe or increasing rapidly, you will most likely need to remove the fish from the tank and put them in a hospital tank for treatment. I have found Paraguard to be the most effective medication in this case. In extreme cases, the only surefire way to kill ich is to do a 100% waterchange every 24 hours, move the fish to a holding container, empty the hospital tank, scrub every surface with a sponge and boil the filter insert, refill the tank and put the fish back in (I did have to resort to this method once for an extremely stubborn and deadly strain). Hopefully the ich attack will work, but make sure to keep a close eye on the fish and don't stop treatment with whatever you are using until at least 4-5 days after the last visible spots are gone. Hope this helps.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have to disagree with the 100% water changes, you have to get the Ich off the fish too or it'll just keep traveling back and forth on the fish. Also, why would you boil media and not just replace it? To answer your question, no, natural approaches/medications do not work as well or as fast as chemicals. Super Ick cure works pretty well, although, if you use it you should only use half the dose if the inverts are in there. The best thing to use for Ich is copper, it'll wipe it out FAST. Unfortunately, it would wipe out your inverts just as fast.

oOBlueOo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The only ick treatment that ever works for me is Hikari ick-x. I last used it when my 55g minnow tank got ick. I've used it on tanks with ghost shrimp with no issues.

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Malachite green and salt works for all but the most delicate fish, but it will kill your invertebrates right now.

I was dosing a tank once and my betta swam out from behind something and right into the drops, and I dyed it green. That poor fish was not sick to begin with but he was green for over a week, during which time I changed water and added malachite green several times.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom