Ich Questions, This Is Not Gonna Be Fun....

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by OnTheFly, Apr 16, 2017.

1. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

Sorry for not launching an intro thread but I have a fairly urgent question. I'll try to not leave out pertinent facts, and try not to write a novel. :) Please ask questions if I am unclear. This is complicated.

I am Dewayne from Iowa. Active aquarist from 1970s-1990s. I have a clue, but some of my "knowledge" is clearly proven faulty with time. Started back in the hobby about a month ago. I have four tanks. Several cycled, and a couple getting very close. Some were cycled fishless with ammonia, some with fish. It has went well mostly. I have a 10G fully cycled, and two 5.5G and a 60G that have a decent bacteria colony and the spikes appear over. I have a fair number of fish as I have been picking them up as I find decent stock (not easy) around here.

Here is the problem. I have an Angel that hasn't been eating for about a week. She ate the first day I brought her home and then became timid. I put her in quarantine a few days ago because I suspected something was wrong. And a cory to clear up the food she won't eat. Today a couple ich spots popped on the Angel. I turned up the heat and will raise it through the day. Long ago I used salt and meds with success. Didn't lose many fish. I will skip the salt as it probably does more harm than good. I now know meds will kill my good bacteria so just dosing all the tanks is probably a bad idea. The bigger picture is I have a lot of nice fish in numerous tanks that have been exposed to the sick angel for at least a few days.

60G- 10 Blackskirts and a few corys. Extremely active with good appetities. WCs are a huge hassle in this tank because I have a water softener and bypassing softener means bypassing water heater. Ice cold well water. Well under 50 degrees F.

10G- 7 Beautiful Lemon tetras and a few corys, plus a pair of nice guppies I intend to breed. NO signs of disease yet but the angel lived here for a week. They have definitely been exposed. Easy water changes in the 10G.

5.5G-Female guppy about to drop fry, and a cory, no signs of disease, but she was exposed. Easy water changes.

5.5G quarantine tank- Sick angel and a cory, easy water changes.

Bottomline is one sick fish, four tanks that I don't want to kill all the tank cycles, and 20 more fish exposed to Ich even though they don't show any symptoms yet. Obviously I don't want to fight this from tank to tank for six months.

My initial thought is dose the angel in the 5.5G and start that cycle over. I can't put all my fish in the 5.5G so if this escalates, convert a larger tank to a hospital and dose the entire population.

I'll stop typing for now. And yes I have learned a lesson. :( Happy Easter to all.

Dewayne

2. AvalancheDave

AvalancheDaveWell Known MemberMember

I'm not sure the typical ich medications (malachite green) will kill a biofilter. Of course, I would be testing water often when there's any doubt about the biofilter's health.

If you do end up with an outbreak in your other tanks you could try quinine in a gel food (it's dangerous when dosed in the water). That will almost certainly not harm the biofilter. Fish not eating can be given a traditional treatment in separate tanks.

3. OP
    OP
    O

OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

Thanks Dave. I will look into that option. If not locally available, I need to get supplies ordered because the chance of an outbreak seems high given my poor practices. I definitely need to learn how to sanitize nets and maintenance equipment as I intend to launch more small breeder tanks soon.

4. DiscusluvWell Known MemberMember

5. OP
    OP
    O

Thanks for the replies. I found some malachite green today from Marineland. I actually had no other options as it is a holiday and most stores were closed. It also appears to be a bio-filter safe product. No other fish show symptoms at this time.

6. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

As a side note, make sure your tank water isn't still up to 86 when you add the ich medication :)

7. OP
    OP
    O

I've been adjusting the heater up slowly all day. Most of the spots were gone within a just a few hours of putting meds in the tank so I am optimistic I caught it early enough. Not out of the woods until she eats though.

8. CarrieFisher

CarrieFisherWell Known MemberMember

I am going to recommend SeaChem's ParaGurd.
    I use it for ich, it worked great!
    Doesn't compromise your BB.
    You WILL have to do frequent gravel/sand vacs, though, regardless of how you choose to treat.

I don't think I'd worry unless you actually see more ich in other tanks.
    Take it one step at a time, is my opinion

I think ParaGuard is just one of those products that is great to have on hand for "what ifs"

9. OP
    OP
    O

Thanks to all for the advice. I like all the SeaChem products I have tried so far. I do need to be prepared for the common fish ailments. I spent about as much on gasoline than med costs. Drove all over the place trying to find a product that didn't sound like snake oil. Nothing against herbal remedies, but when you have an accurate diagnosis and a quarantined fish, I'm not sure why you would't just use an anti-biotic known to work quickly at half the cost?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice