Ich question

RomanNoodles96

Long story short my new guppy from the LFS had fry so I skipped the new fish quarantine from a month to a week so I could use the quarantine tank as a grow out. A big mistake because now ich is in my main tank from a platy. He only had 1 speck so its not serious, and I've successfully treated ich 4 times so far. Anyways, in theory, if I have the temperature at 86 degrees Fahrenheit, dose kordons rid ich plus daily for 8 days (apparently the ich life cycle at that temperature) the ich will be gone after treatment? Also how long is ich in the free moving stage where meds kill it? And the fry are all safe btw, I run aquarium salt in my quarantine tank for new fish so they should be good.

Betta'sAnonymous

Should be done after 8 days, but make sure to vac the gravel very thorough to get the ick spores out.

RomanNoodles96

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Should be done after 8 days, but make sure to vac the gravel very thorough to get the ick spores out.
What are the ich spores?

Cinnabar

From a study published in the Journal of Applied Aquaculture: “At warm temperatures (24°C–26°C), the life cycle is completed in about 48 hours. Parasites complete their life cycle in 3–6 days at 25°C, 10 days at 15°C, and a month or more at 10°C, when the disease is typically less serious (Mamun et al. 2019)”

At that high temperature you won’t need to treat for more that a few days. Do a water change every day and vacuum thoroughly like BettaAnon said. The ick “spores” they’re talking about is the free-swimming parasite stage.

RomanNoodles96

WhatsUpGuys said:
From a study published in the Journal of Applied Aquaculture: “At warm temperatures (24°C–26°C), the life cycle is completed in about 48 hours. Parasites complete their life cycle in 3–6 days at 25°C, 10 days at 15°C, and a month or more at 10°C, when the disease is typically less serious (Mamun et al. 2019)”

At that high temperature you won’t need to treat for more that a few days. Do a water change every day and vacuum thoroughly like BettaAnon said. The ick “spores” they’re talking about is the free-swimming parasite stage.
Okay thank you for the knowledge, I didn't know it was that quick at only 78 degrees, I always heard it would take 7-10 days for the ich life cycle even at 86 degrees. I will treat for 4 days and do daily water changes as well. I'll make an update then.

Top Bottom