Help Ich question

NikkiPotnick

Reaction score
HI all, so I noticed a couple of my fish had a few white spots about 5 days ago, so I immediately removed the carbon from my canisters and raised my temp to 84 and dosed them with API super ich cure. After the 4 day treatment and water changes, 2 more of my fish have a couple spots.

I've never had ich this persistent before, it's only a few spots, but maybe I caught it at the wrong stage of the life cycle? I am treating again with API general.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No idea what API Super Ich Cure is or how to use it, so follow the directions to a "T". Do NOT deviate.

I haven't had to deal with Ich in forever except the one time a few years ago I bought a fish with Ich on purpose, but this is how Id do it:

Raise temps to 86 and make sure it doesn't go below that. Leave it there for 2 weeks, PERIOD!

Add a few extra air stones to help with gas exchange. Warmer water contains less dissolved oxygen and its believed Ich kills fish by attaching to their gills and suffocating them.

Do a GOOD gravel vacuuming every day along with 50% water changes. If you have a ton of decorations remove them, clean them, leave them out until the Ich is gone.

If you do this, it WILL get rid of the Ich. However, WHY did they get it in the first place? If you don't treat the cause, it WILL come back.

OP
NikkiPotnick

NikkiPotnick

Reaction score
DuaneV said:
No idea what API Super Ich Cure is or how to use it, so follow the directions to a "T". Do NOT deviate.

I haven't had to deal with Ich in forever except the one time a few years ago I bought a fish with Ich on purpose, but this is how Id do it:

Raise temps to 86 and make sure it doesn't go below that. Leave it there for 2 weeks, PERIOD!

Add a few extra air stones to help with gas exchange. Warmer water contains less dissolved oxygen and its believed Ich kills fish by attaching to their gills and suffocating them.

Do a GOOD gravel vacuuming every day along with 50% water changes. If you have a ton of decorations remove them, clean them, leave them out until the Ich is gone.

If you do this, it WILL get rid of the Ich. However, WHY did they get it in the first place? If you don't treat the cause, it WILL come back.
Thanks, I will make the adjustments, will plants and driftwood be ok? and I'm pretty sure it was from one of the blue rams I added 2 weeks ago. Should have quarantined longer.

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Plants and driftwood will be fine in those temps but if you can remove them for cleaning purposes I would. Just gives less places for the Ich to hide and procreate.

OP
NikkiPotnick

NikkiPotnick

Reaction score
DuaneV said:
Plants and driftwood will be fine in those temps but if you can remove them for cleaning purposes I would. Just gives less places for the Ich to hide and procreate.
Thanks for the advice! I'll update this thread in a week or so.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are three common methods to treat ich, the temperature method (over 86 degrees for at least two weeks), the salt method, and medication. Any of these methods will work as long as you continue the treatment for at least a week after the white spots disappear. Which method depends on your fish and your situation. There is no single "right way" to cure ich. If you're using the salt or medication method, increasing the temp a couple degrees can speed up the life cycle, but if you have fish that have a problem with temperatures over 86 degrees, you don't have to kill them, you can use salt or medication.

The entire tank is infested. Treat the tank and everything in it.

New Threads