Ich question Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by el337, Jul 23, 2015.

1. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Does ICH mainly occur in newly added fish to a tank or brought in by a new fish? Does it ever occur to an established tank with fish that you have had for at least 6 months where all the fish get along and you see no signs of stress, bullying or sickness?

None of my fish have had it but just curious....

2. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

My understanding is that the spores are every where in the water supply. It needs a trigger to start an outbreak. Something like an infected fish, or a weak fish, a sudden drop in the water temp that stresses the fish.

But there may be others that take issue with that. Lets see what the others say.

3. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

There are a number of factors that can contribute to ich, yes, it can be brought in by new fish, or it could be caused by something else environmental, being stressed, ect. I've dealt with it twice, when I brought a new fish in, and when I wasn't running a heater on my tank, my neons got ich and died.

Hope this answers some of your questions. :)

4. OP
    OP
    el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I see, so mainly with new fish or with signs of stress/weakness. Just curious if anyone had experience with it with their established tank and fish they've had for a while.

5. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

That is why one should always quarantine any new critter you want to put in an established tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice