Ich question.....Please help!

gloomiath

Reaction score
About 9 days ago i noticed the fish were covered in white spots. Ich! I ran to the store and picked up some ich treatment, malachite green, and have been treating the tank with water changes and the filter off every 3 days. The fish dont have any spots on them anymore, altho i lost a pleco this morning, but i noticed all my plants are covered in white spots now. They are FAKE plastic plants too. Is this ich? What do i do?
Any suggestions are welcome!
Thanks!!!!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The spots on the plants are probably algae of some kind. why did you turn your filter off? Did you raise your water temp to 85F? It takes 14 days with the temperature raised to 85F to kill the ich. The malachite green is probably what did the pleco in.
Carol

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
By the way welcome to FishLore!! Step into the welcome forum and introduce yourself so we can welcome you properly
Carol

gloomiath

Reaction score
Thanks Carol for the information and the warm welcome.

So i shouldnt be worried that its infact ich on the plastic plants or is that not possible?

I did raise my water temp up to 85, and will leave it up there for another week or so. I do have 2 cory cats i better keep an eye on with the malachite green, i think i will use one more treatment of that to make sure the ich is gone.

Thanks!

gloomiath

Reaction score
Oh, i turned the filter off because the malachite green treatment said on the bottle that carbon filters will make the medicine useless.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Take the carbon out of your filter, if your going to medicate. Leave the filter running 24/7 your fish need the water circulation and your Beneficial Bacteria will die if the filter is left off for very long. Your BB need the constant replenishment of oxygen when the water runs through the filter. Carbon is commonly only needed to remove meds from your water
Usually just turning the temps up to 85F for 14 days and partial water changes will get rid of the ich for you. If you choose to continue the malachite green do keep a watch on your corys. They are very sensitive to meds. Keep us posted.
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom