Ich quarantine

Fwreef86

Hello,

I'm planning on purchasing the following from an online vendor and quarantining them for ICH before introducing them to my display.

Neon tetras
Green cory
Golden nugget pleco

Do I just add them to a sterile quarantine tank, raise the salinity and temperature to 88degrees for 2 weeks?

What salinity or s.g. do I need to achieve?

Do I need to transfer them to different tanks every few days based on the life cycle of ich or can I just leave them in the same tank for 2 weeks?

Any advice would be appreciated, so many conflicting directions online.

LeahsTank

Quarantine is for anything. Not just ich. Just keep them in a qt tank for about 2-4 weeks. The longer, the better. If after such time you don’t observe any issues, move them to your display tank. No need prophylactic Treatment necessary. Only treat if you notice the spots of rapid gill movements.

edited to add: The qt tank’s parameters should closely match your main tank. If your qt tank isn’t cycled, you’ll need to steal a bit of media from the main tank to jump start the cycle, or else, you’d essentially be doing a fish in cycle on the qt which could cause stress and disease.

Upvote 0

Fwreef86

Definitely, I’m not a fan of treating prophylactically and I’ll be observing at first. But in the event that I do need to treat for ich or infections, are there any good sources of guidelines on how to treat? There are many informations after googling but they all differ.

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

A sterile quarantine tank is going to cause more problems than it prevents

Upvote 0

LeahsTank

Definitely, I’m not a fan of treating prophylactically and I’ll be observing at first. But in the event that I do need to treat for ich or infections, are there any good sources of guidelines on how to treat? There are many informations after googling but they all differ.
Your best bet is to observe. If you notice something that concerns you, come back to fishlore and fill out the sick fish template. You will get good information, but beware... you can still get bad info here too. When deciding, look at the posters thread count and reputation. Every illness is different so there isn’t really a way to prepare, unless you want to go ahead and get some general meds to have on hand.

Upvote 0

Fwreef86

If I'm treating with Seachem Paraguard, do I need to raise the temperature as well? If yes, then to what?

Upvote 0

GlennO

If I'm treating with Seachem Paraguard, do I need to raise the temperature as well? If yes, then to what?

If you're treating Ich with medication you don't need to raise the temperature although you can bump it up a little to maximise the speed of the Ich life cycle. This minimises the treatment period. The speed of the life cycle is at its maximum at about 27C/80F. No need to go above this unless you intend to treat Ich with heat only (no meds) in which case the temp needs to be kept at 30C/86F minimum. At a temp of 30C its ability to reproduce is usually disrupted and therefore the life cycle is broken and the Ich dies out. This heat treatment is an alternative to medication.

Upvote 0

Fwreef86

If you're treating Ich with medication you don't need to raise the temperature although you can bump it up a little to maximise the speed of the Ich life cycle. This minimises the treatment period. The speed of the life cycle is at its maximum at about 27C/80F. No need to go above this unless you intend to treat Ich with heat only (no meds) in which case the temp needs to be kept at 30C/86F minimum. At a temp of 30C its ability to reproduce is usually disrupted and therefore the life cycle is broken and the Ich dies out. This heat treatment is an alternative to medication.

Thank you! I read 83F for heat treatment on other online sources but glad I checked, so many varying instructions.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Freshfishguy
  • Question
Replies
Views
Thunder_o_b
Replies
Views