Ich Problem

Jewells

Reaction score
I recently added two Plecos and 4 guppies to my 10 gallon. Everything was fine for the first day then two of the guppies died a day apart and then overnight the Plecos were covered in white spots. I raised the temperature from 80 to 85 through out the day since that’s what I had read to do because it increases the life cycle of ich. Then the next day the guppies had them as well. I also read that you can add salt but I’m worried that I may do something wrong and harm the fish. One of the Plecos is acting very weak and I’m worried it may die soon and the two guppies stay in this one corner just staring at the glass. I lowered the water level so the filter hits the surface harder and hopefully helps with the oxygen. I would love any advice on getting rid of ich

My tank is cycled, has a filter and fake plants just fyi.

This is my first time owning anything other then a betta fish and a tank this size so I’m stressing out. Here’s some photos...

054757CE-BAF9-4BEE-ABA6-07604FFBC55A.jpeg

AF22D146-197A-4435-B0E1-9959BBA552FE.jpeg

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jewels, turn your tank temp back down. 85 is too hot for plecos. 80 will be fine for treating ich. Good luck!

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have used Kordon's Ich Attack before in a tank that had a pleco and Cory's, among other fish. I was dosing 2x a day with no harmful effects.

That product is one of the more mild Ich medications available.

I also used API aquarium salt and followed the directions on the carton. If you're worried about using salt, cut the dose in half.

Fish all lived in my case.

I also did substrate vacs and water changes every 2 days, to remove free floating ich and ich that was on the substrate.

What type of plecos do you have?

Good luck.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd start treating immediately and think about rehoming the two BN's afterwards. The tank is too small for those.

Jewells

Reaction score
I have used Kordon's Ich Attack before in a tank that had a pleco and Cory's, among other fish. I was dosing 2x a day with no harmful effects.

That product is one of the more mild Ich medications available.

I also used API aquarium salt and followed the directions on the carton. If you're worried about using salt, cut the dose in half.

Fish all lived in my case.

I also did substrate vacs and water changes every 2 days, to remove free floating ich and ich that was on the substrate.

What type of plecos do you have?

Good luck.
Tysm and I’ve been doing 25% water changes since I noticed the ich. They are both rubber lip Plecos

I'd start treating immediately and think about rehoming the two BN's afterwards. The tank is too small for those.
They are rubber lips and everything I have read says a 10 gallon is fine. But of course once they get bigger if the tank seems too small I’ll upgrade.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tysm and I’ve been doing 25% water changes since I noticed the ich. They are both rubber lip Plecos

They are rubber lips and everything I have read says a 10 gallon is fine. But of course once they get bigger if the tank seems too small I’ll upgrade.
Sorry Jewells, I was fooled by the tail (and the enormous Ich infection.

I wouldn't put Rubberlips in a 10G as well.
Certainly if they're two males you've an issue.

Rubberlips are wild caught fish that need coolers oxygented flowing water. In fact hillstreamlike so a bit different than this tank. Also realise these might need a more carnivorious diet than often thought.

Start treating today otherwise they won't make it. No heathtreatment in this case.

Jewells

Reaction score
Sorry Jewells, I was fooled by the tail (and the enormous Ich infection.

I wouldn't put Rubberlips in a 10G as well.
Certainly if they're two males you've an issue.

Rubberlips are wild caught fish that need coolers oxygented flowing water. In fact hillstreamlike so a bit different than this tank. Also realise these might need a more carnivorious diet than often thought.

Start treating today otherwise they won't make it. No heathtreatment in this case.
I really wasn’t planning on getting the Plecos but mom got them thx for the info I’ll try and improve my care ☺ I honestly don’t know if they are male or female but they seem to get along. The one in the photo is the larger one and the other is like half it’s size if that means anything. So just to clarify, I should slowly turn the heat back down? I’ve noticed that almost all of the white spots on the pleco in the photo are gone! Maybe they are dying off?

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I really wasn’t planning on getting the Plecos but mom got them thx for the info I’ll try and improve my care 3526] I honestly don’t know if they are male or female but they seem to get along. The one in the photo is the larger one and the other is like half it’s size if that means anything. So just to clarify, I should slowly turn the heat back down? I’ve noticed that almost all of the white spots on the pleco in the photo are gone! Maybe they are dying off?
There are two reasons for my advice not to use heath.

The cooler and well oxygenated water acquired for these fish.

The degree of infestation.

The parasite will still be in the water.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I really wasn’t planning on getting the Plecos but mom got them thx for the info I’ll try and improve my care ☺ I honestly don’t know if they are male or female but they seem to get along. The one in the photo is the larger one and the other is like half it’s size if that means anything. So just to clarify, I should slowly turn the heat back down? I’ve noticed that almost all of the white spots on the pleco in the photo are gone! Maybe they are dying off?
The white spots are just one stage of ich life cycle, once those white spots disappear, you've got the parasite swimming in your tank. So you need to treat the whole tank at this point.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom