Question Ich Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonlightofoversea

Reaction score
Can Ich attack healthy goldfish? I had 2 new goldfish bought couple weeks ago, they showed sign of ich within few days, but I kept changing water and maintain a good water condition the ich disappeared after a week. I just got a new black moor yesterday and I saw sign of ich today, lucky I put him in my quarantine tank. When I do his water change, I accidentally forgot to change the same container that I used to scoop out quarantine tank water, when I scoop the main tank water to the quarantine tank. I'm afraid of cross contamination here. I was wondering does the ich attack healthy goldfish?

cichlid4life

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
yes, infact when your ich "disappeared" your ich problem did not go away. the ich only died and laid eggs in the substrate of your tank (they will hatch in about two weeks later), to kill it is very hard with goldfish, because normally i would say to raise the heat slowly up to 86°F but the goldfish won't likely live through the heat shock.

rainbowsprinkles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You should medicate the whole tank or use heat. But if you use heat only increase heat 2 degrees every 2 hrs max - could take 2 or 3 days to get to 86..or they could die. I don’t use anti ich or antibiotic meds anymore because of evolutionary resistance to meds but gold fish are temperate creatures (summer and winter- my outside fish survive Texas summer) so can actually tolerate higher temps temporarily if acclimated appropriately. Then it needs to stay warm for 2 weeks even if no infection is obvious because some life stages will be in your tank and not on fish.. and free swimming life stage is the only one susceptible to high temperatures -then you need to slowly turn the heat back down. I’ve done it successfully with new goldfish that seem to always come with ich... Or if this makes you nervous just medicate ..ich meds seem less stressful to fish than antibiotics..

cichlid4life

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You should medicate the whole tank or use heat. But if you use heat only increase heat 2 degrees every 2 hrs max - could take 2 or 3 days to get to 86..or they could die. I don’t use anti ich or antibiotic meds anymore because of evolutionary resistance to meds but gold fish are temperate creatures (summer and winter- my outside fish survive Texas summer) so can actually tolerate higher temps temporarily if acclimated appropriately. Then it needs to stay warm for 2 weeks even if no infection is obvious because some life stages will be in your tank and not on fish.. and free swimming life stage is the only one susceptible to high temperatures -then you need to slowly turn the heat back down. I’ve done it successfully with new goldfish that seem to always come with ich... Or if this makes you nervous just medicate ..ich meds seem less stressful to fish than antibiotics..
NEVER raise it one degree an hour!!! that will kil your goldfish, if you do raise the heat, raise it up slowly, and make sure that the water raises up by one degree every one to two days.

cichlid4life

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
now a days every ich treatment is a medication and an antibiotic.

rainbowsprinkles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NEVER raise it one degree an hour!!! that will kil your goldfish, if you do raise the heat, raise it up slowly, and make sure that the water raises up by one degree every one to two days.
I guess mine are extra hardy

cichlid4life

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
one degree an hour is way too much stress for about any fish that is already stressed out by the ich.

moonlightofoversea

Reaction score
The goldfishes who in the main tank had ich was three weeks ago though, three week is long enough for ich reproduce in 73 degree water. So that's why I'm curious if they built a immune system after dealing with ich?

moonlightofoversea

Reaction score
Haven't seen sign of ich in three weeks. But the new fish I got yesterday showed a sign of ich in my quarantine tank. I accidentally used the same container. That's why I'm wondering if it will reinfect my main tank goldfishes. I hope not.

cichlid4life

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
there is no immunity system that can fight ich, it is impossible.
EDIT: there is no such thing as a fish with an immune system that will fight off an immunity to ich, especially not if it was the first ich that your tank ever had.

moonlightofoversea

Reaction score
That's why it's weird that the ich that appear three weeks ago disappeared and I haven't seen it since. I had encountered ich before when it completely wiped out my 10 years old comets. It was sad. Tried medicine and heat but the old fish was too weak to take the hits.

rainbowsprinkles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
one degree an hour is way too much stress for about any fish that is already stressed out by the ich.
Ok you don’t need to be so dismissive. It’s not like I was saying something radical here. .Every fish care site or book I’ve ever read suggests one degree an hour and it’s worked for me with goldfish and tropicals. Being conservative with acclimation is ok unless during the 10 days it takes you raise the temperature the fish dies of ich. I’m talking F not C

cichlid4life

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
i know that it was Fahrenheit and not Celsius, but it is stil too much for any fish for it to go up by i degree Fahrenheit and hour.

rainbowsprinkles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i know that it was Fahrenheit and not Celsius, but it is stil too much for any fish for it to go up by i degree Fahrenheit and hour.
Ok but then educate me.. why do you say that? Experience? intuition? Something you read?

cichlid4life

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
From experience mostly, and then doing a little research on why it did not stop the ich, and for why my fish died. Even after that, i have had ich and i have been better off treating it with less shock to the fish, and i have been successful twice in killing ich.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 28 66.7%

Top Bottom