Ich Problem

1. O

OscarOwner88 New Member Member

-So I recently bought a flowerhorn cichlid and put it into my 45gal fish tank with my 7 inch oscar with has been in this tank ever since I got it. (Been set-up for about 3 weeks) well since I got the flowerhorn my oscar has been not looking right, it's been stressed out and then about 2 days ago I looked in my tank and saw that the oscar had ich all over its fins so I done what people would do if they saw this go and get API Super ich cure from my local fish store and I have been treating it ever since but then today I looked at my pleco and now my pleco is covered in it (pleco is about 5 or 6 inches). Also I looked up what I should do when I see this and it said remove all of the carbon so I removed it from the filter cartridges( hope I spelled that right, this was before I put the second round of medicine in) so today I look and they still have ich. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Well if you didn't remove the carbon before the first treatment you basically wasted a day of treatment.

Follow the instructions of the medicine. When I dealt with ich a few weeks back I used the Kordon Rid Ich medicine. That medicine required me to make 25% water changes before adding the medicine in there. I had to do this for about 5 straight days and the ich was gone by around day 3, but the extra medication was done per the instructions.

Lots of water changes for a week...but gotta do it when dealing with meds.

3. OP
    OP
    O

So would you recommend making the take 86 degrees as well

4. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I raised mine to about 82 degrees but it wasn't part of the instructions. I never went higher then that. It wouldn't hurt to change the temperature up to 86 but you have to do it slowly but make sure the fish are ok with that kind of temperature.

You will likely need to get an air stone to help as higher temperatures will kill off oxygen in the tank.

If you feel that the medicine will do it's job w/o adjustments then do it. Raising up to 86 degrees is a way to get rid of ich but not having to use medicine.

5. OP
    OP
    O

So raising the temperature, is that going to be okay for my fish for about a week

6. OP
    OP
    O

So raising the temperature, is that going to be okay for my fish for about a week

7. xapoc

xapoc Valued Member Member

My fish had ick twice, first time 1 died, second time they all lived.
    I used API super ich cure.
    Do what the instruction on the back say, just remove the carbon filter from the tank for the duration of treatment
    up the temp by 2 degrees daily, do the 20-25% water changes per bottle instruction
    As I recall I only went up to 84 degrees from 78, was enough to fix my 2-3 fish that had it last time.
    Whole process took 4-5 days, then lower water temp by 2 degrees daily.

Some folks say they dont use medicine, they just up the temp.

8. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

You need to raise you water temp to 86 and leave it that way for two weeks. You will also need to do daily gravel vacs to pick up any dropped spores before they can reattach to the fish.

9. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Also add an airstone as higher temp lower dissolved oxygen in the water.

There is no magic cure for ich. It takes time and high temps to make the lifecycle of the parasite go faster. It doesn't just disappear when you put meds in or raise the temp.

10. OP
    OP
    O

Thank all of y'all for the help really appreciate it