Ich Problem

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Live Love Aquatic Life, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Live Love Aquatic Life

Live Love Aquatic Life Valued Member Member

In January, I set up a 36 Gallon Bowfront tank. It took me a while to cycle, but by February I was able to start introducing fish. I was a little paranoid about overstocking, so I don't have many fish now, but this is what I do have:

- 2 Mickey Mouse Platies
    - 1 Fancy Cobra Guppy
    - 5 Bloodfin Tetras

Now before you jump on my case, saying that Guppies must live in groups of three as well as Platies, there's been some fish death, and again, paranoia about stocking. I had three guppies, but two mysteriously died. I was not quite sure why, and figured maybe it was just dumb luck. Then, I went ahead and added a BN Pleco. Soon, he died, so I got another. Well, he died as well. That's when I realized there was a problem. Today I checked over my fish and what do you know?

They have ich! Now, I'm pretty much panicking, wondering what I should do. Please give advice!

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Guppies and platies don't need groups of three. They are social rather than schooling but are fine alone.

Are you sure they have ich? If they do then increase the temperature and add an airstone as less oxygen can dissolve in warmer water.

3. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

You can do a natural treatment with heat, or if the problem is bad, treat with a product containing Malachite Green or Victorian Green (Same theing)

4. OP
    OP
    Live Love Aquatic Life

Live Love Aquatic Life Valued Member Member

Oh, I've heard from people that keeping them in groups was a necessity. They probably just misinterpreted it when somebody told them that they were social.

Pretty much. I'm on my computer at the moment, so I'm unable to upload an image, but there are tiny white spots dotting a few of their tails. I also saw one of my Bloodfins rubbing against the glass.

5. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Ok then I would recommend heat treatment but it depends how bad it is as KimberlyG said

6. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Probably what people were referring two is that when keeping live bearers you should have two or three females for every male. This way the romance (some may say harassment) is spread out over several females.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice