Ich Outbreak

LynnwoodFishDad

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I came home last night from a business trip to discover I have an Ich outbreak in my 36-gallon. No fatalities yet, but 10+ fish showing signs. What is the best way to treat the tank?

Current stats:
PH - 7
GH - 30ppm
KH - 40ppm
Temp - 78
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 5ppm

Infected fish appear to be cardinal and phantom tetras. I do a 25-50% weekly water change and tank cleaning every Sunday so that’s on the agenda already.

Attachments

LynnwoodFishDad

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Anyone know how long this takes? I’m on day 3 of testing and they seem to be getting worse not better!

DannyTanks

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I had the same thing happen to me. Came back from business trip and tank was absolutely infested. Here’s what worked for me:

I set the temperature up a few degrees to 84-85 (normally kept at 80) - this increases the fishes metabolism and therefore gets the ich going through it’s cycle faster - and then put in a slightly larger dose of aquarium salt than what is called for. I.e - 1 tblsp per 5g is normal dose, I added about 50% more.

This was my first dosing of salt and it entirely cleared up in a few days (3-4 days) and no fatalities. Since then, I have consistently kept up with my aquarium salt regiment after every water change. My cichlids seem to like it. It reduces stress and illnesses.

I was glad to find this cure as opposed to medication dosing because that can get complicated and cumbersome having to take out the medicine.

I hope you find a solution that works for you.

LynnwoodFishDad

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ich-X, General cure, Maracyn, aquarium salt...water changes...ugh!

The water quality is good and I think there are multiple issues going on. All of them are stressed from the treatment and such. I think it’s just a waiting game to see who is left when it is all said and done.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not wanna be rude but I am getting the impression that more and more often one of the easiest treatable disease in the hobby is treated in a way that is quite close to torturing fish. An anti bacterial med, two anti Ich meds, salt and possibly heath in 4 days ? To be honest I don't think it is strange your fish are stressed and some died.

Treat following one method at the time :
One anti Ich med at a time and not antibacterial. This is the treatment I'd advise looking at the stage it is in.
Heathmethod : 86F during two weeks.
Aeration is advisable in both cases.

LynnwoodFishDad

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks but I’m likely past that point. I can home from a work trip and had two fish with blusging eyes, 4 with bloated bellies, and a massive ich outbreak. I’ll keep your advise in mind for the future.

LynnwoodFishDad

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
And now I see it on a few fish in my 54-gallon. Found out the person watching my tanks tried to clean my glass for me and cross contaminated all thee of the large tanks. Gonna be an expensive few weeks...

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LynnwoodFishDad said:
And now I see it on a few fish in my 54-gallon. Found out the person watching my tanks tried to clean my glass for me and cross contaminated all thee of the large tanks. Gonna be an expensive few weeks...
Start treating with a decent anti Ichmed immediately.

LynnwoodFishDad

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
DoubleDutch said:
Start treating with a decent anti Ichmed immediately.
Took your previous advice and turned up the heat, did a water change, and dosed with Ich-X. Will repeat Wednesday.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LynnwoodFishDad said:
Took your previous advice and turned up the heat, did a water change, and dosed with Ich-X. Will repeat Wednesday.
Ok, does Ich-X ask to turn up the heat ?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom