Ich Outbreak!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Snarbleglarf, May 24, 2019.

1. Snarbleglarf New Member Member

I have 4 Pictus catfish that got affected by Ich, we have them quarantined in a 10 gallon tank while we treat the rest of the fish in their 75 gallon home but I’m not sure how to treat the Pictus since I have heard they can’t be treated with some medications. I have heard of some people using garlic and raising the temperature of the tank but I wanted to get y’alls input. Anything helps!

2. bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

My input would be to put them back in the 75g and crank the temp to at least 86 and do daily water changes.

I only dealt with ich once and all it required was heat treatment and water changes.

Im curious why you moved the pictus only to treat the tank they came from...

3. Snarbleglarf New Member Member

We removed them because we are treating the 75 with rapid cure and it stated on the bottle to not use it with scaleless fish

4. DIYhack Valued Member Member

Probably because it’s a scaleless fish? They are a little more of a pain to deal with.

I’ve battled it before with good results. Raised tank temp 86 used something with Malachite Green and Formalin and followed the bottle.

I would only do the meds in a hospital tank though as it stains the silicone a pretty blue/green.

For a scaleless fish you would 1/2 dose and stay away from copper.

5. bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

Oh I see!
    It seemed backwards to me. But I understand now.

6. roXen Valued Member Member

My cardinal tetras had small white spots develop 1 day after I purchased them. I raised the temperature, added salt, and did daily water changes. Ich was gone within a week. Thankfully, I didn't have to use any medicine. After that, I have not bought any fish from my lfs. The Petsmart near me seems to have more knowledgeable employees and healthier looking fish (+better return policy).