Ich or what?

kythlyn

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to understand what's going on with this neon tetra.

You must be registered to see images

The fish expert at my local PetCo (one of the only places in my small town that deals in freshwater fish) told me to treat the tank with Artemiss for 10 days, and when the tailrot started happening, I was told to alternate between Artemiss and Herbtana for another 10 days. I also increased the temperature in the tank by a degree or two, so it's around 80 degrees right now. So day 20 of tank treatment is tomorrow, and while all of the other fish in the tank seem happy and healthy, this one neon tetra remains visibly sick, though its behavior is otherwise rather normal. It doesn't seem to be getting better or worse, and I don't have a quarantine tank so it's just in a box that transfers water with the rest of the tank. I would greatly appreciate any advise as to what to do with this fish.

FishPlanet

That looks like what my neon tetras had a few weeks ago. You can treat it with Jungle ich guard or increase the temp to 86 F and do water changes.

Upvote 0

FishPlanet

Thanks for the reply. It's a community tank with black kuhli loaches, two corydora catfish, a pleco, a couple ghost shrimp, an african dwarf frog and a mystery snail in addition to the tetras. Is that 86 F still okay?

Do you have a extra tank? Because now i see that some of them can't stand the heat. Like me. :D

Upvote 0

kythlyn

Do you have a extra tank? Because now i see that some of them can't stand the heat. Like me. :D

Unfortunately I don't. I may eventually get a larger tank and use the current one as an extra/quarantine tank, but for now, I don't have any realistic options for quarantining. :/

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

ich X should be safe for those salt and heat-sensitive bottom dwelling fish, I used it with my loaches. I do not know if it is safe with shrimp , I just tried to google it but came up empty handed.

Upvote 0

kythlyn

ich X should be safe for those salt and heat-sensitive bottom dwelling fish, I used it with my loaches. I do not know if it is safe with shrimp , I just tried to google it but came up empty handed.

Thanks for the suggestion; I'll look into this one as well.

Upvote 0

NearMeBettas

Jungle ich guard works VERY well and does not require heating of the tank. Heating the tank can be bad for the fish.

Upvote 0

kythlyn

Jungle ich guard works VERY well and does not require heating of the tank. Heating the tank can be bad for the fish.
It seems like there are two versions of Jungle Ick Guard, and version II is supposedly for smaller fish like the ones I have, but I can't seem to find version II anywhere.

Upvote 0

NearMeBettas

It seems like there are two versions of Jungle Ick Guard, and version II is supposedly for smaller fish like the ones I have, but I can't seem to find version II anywhere.
I have the normal version, dose the tank and if not gone in 24 hours do a small water change and dose again. Works very time!!

Upvote 0

kythlyn

I have the normal version, dose the tank and if not gone in 24 hours do a small water change and dose again. Works very time!!

Okay, I'll give it a try! Thanks everyone!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SanDiegoRedneck
  • Question
Replies
Views
Roman96
Replies
Views
Redshark1