Ich or something else?

Theulli

The little guy is so tiny I can't get a picture, but this evening I discovered that my green banded goby has numerous white tufts around his body/fins. I am proceeding on the assumption it's ich, moved him to a tupperware floating at the top of my tank, and have started dosing Herbtana (I am skeptical, but Petco was the only store open) in the tank and put a couple drops of Pimafix and Herbtana in the tupperware to hopefully help him out.

Most of the images I see of ich are spots - but this stuff is more like little puffballs, and quite raised from the skin. They seem concentrated on his back fin and on the top of his head. I see no signs of anything on the other fish, which is why I wanted to get ahead of it and medicate before it went nutso in my tank. His gills are also quite red.

Could this be something I am not thinking of?

I will upload a photo shortly

Edit* it's a cruddy photo but you can see the white tufts I'm talking about. Unfortunately there's also some distortion/spotting from the container

He's cool though isn't he! I call him Badgerfish.

Attachments

• 4EF2C5DC-4E91-4B54-8E1A-C8B3F25CDCF2.jpeg
    4EF2C5DC-4E91-4B54-8E1A-C8B3F25CDCF2.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 20

Ryngwrayth

Ich IME is not a “tuft” it looks like white sand or salt sprinkled on the fish.

Anything with dimension of softness of appearance is more likely to be fungal.

Theulli

Ich IME is not a “tuft” it looks like white sand or salt sprinkled on the fish.

Anything with dimension of softness of appearance is more likely to be fungal.

Yeah it’s not like salt, it stands out enough that I feel I could tweezer some off of him if he held still enough.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I will stop treating the DT and continue the Pimafix on him, esp since the snails appear to hate the Herbtana

Theulli

Here’s a bit of a better pic. Ignore the white spots lying around, those are copepods that seem to be attracted to the container. You can see the white especially along the fish’s side in this one.

Attachments

• 2DFD6BA5-EB51-41F7-BD2A-E5C12BBEAB5D.jpeg
    2DFD6BA5-EB51-41F7-BD2A-E5C12BBEAB5D.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 15

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
darkcat
  • Question
Replies
Views
jaycopper