Ich? Or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StefanieMichelle

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am a new user and am also a new fish owner. My three beauties are a regular Black Moor, a Gold fantail, and a Pleco. They have always been happy from the day we got them, and all seemed well until we recently put some plants in our tank. They got used to them quickly, and loved swimming through them, but recently some white spots have began appearing on our fish. They are tiny, white dots that seem to be stuck on the fins and (a little bit of) the scales. It worries me, because I have already become very attached and don't want anything to happen to them. I am willing to buy anything (I.E: a water test kit, new chemicals, a medicine, etc.) to help them be happy and healthy. Thank you! I also have a video that I can post sooner or later.

chrt396

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I bought a Blue Ram from the LFS that delivered Ich to my tank. I slowly raised the tanks temperature to 85-86 degrees, and used Mardel's Ich cure. It's all natural and it takes a week or so to eliminate the parasite. Read the directions on the web site. It shows you step by step what to do. Mine all came through the ordeal..and no casualties. There are faster Ich cures...but I was advised to keep it natural. Some just use the heat treatment. It does sound like you have Ich by the way.

Geoffrey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welcome to FishLore!

Ich looks like grains of salt stuck to the fish, so that sounds like what your fish has. A picture or video would help confirm this though.

chrt396 gave some good advice. Just make sure you get the temperature up to 85-86 F, otherwise, you may just speed up the ich lifecycle, allowing it to reproduce faster, but not kill it.

Et tu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Raise the temp very slowly, sudden temp changes are dangerous. Add extra surface movement via air stone or power head breaking the surface. Vac the gravel often to help remove the cysts. Before starting treatment do a water change, and monitor tank water parameters during treatment be ready to change out old water with temp matched new water. You caught this early so chances are good for a full recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Weekly

Votes: 53 67.9%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 14 17.9%

Top Bottom