Ich Or Injury?

Whatisacanada

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I purchased a baby Oranda from my local petco today, as I was looking at it in the store I noticed a strange looking white area on the dorsal fin. The manager showed me that the fish had a bite taken out of the fin from one of the other fish in the tank. He said that the injury was minor and that in time you wouldn't notice it, but because there is a bit of a white spot on the fish I worry that it may also be a combination of injury/illness.
Should I treat the fish anyway, or are there some more signs I can/should look for first?
Also, the fish is very small, the body is about two inches. Is there any way for me to determine the gender now, what should I look for to try to see?

Edit: The fish is currently in a 3gal tank for quarantine purposes. The lady at petco said it would be fine with my comet, but I've read that comet and fancy goldfish don't pair well together, so I'm planning on putting it into it's own tank and potentially adding another oranda down the road.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Post a picture or two, might be able to help more with them.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I can say that it's not ich and the bit missing on the dorsal should heal given time. Are the white spots your talking about near the base of the tail? Those could be just injuries from other fish or they could be something a bit more, like skin flukes.

OP
Whatisacanada

Whatisacanada

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It is hard to see with the white piece of cardboard in the back, I have it separating the view between my two tanks. But the white spot I have concerns about is the little white spot located right where the bite is. You can kind of see it in this photo

Attachments

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ah I see it now. When fins are regrowing they get a white edge to them. That could be what's going on, but it could also be a sign of infection. I suggest you keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse. Also, since it's in such a tiny tank you might want to do daily 50% water changes, it will only help and speed the healing process.

New Threads