Ich Or Finrot? Important

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by mitchellh97, Apr 11, 2018.

1. mitchellh97

mitchellh97 Valued Member Member

Bought this flowerhorn yesterday, Very few small white specs on fins none on body. Came to check on him this morning and over night it started looking like finrot. Long spots on fins turning white and now on top of tail as well. It’s only on the tips of the fins not in the center. Called my LFS and said the other flowerhorn they kept them with looks like he has ich. But I’ve never had to deal with ich yet but I have dealt with finrot. What is this? First 2 pictures are of the day I got him (24 hours ago) and last two are of this morning (3 hours ago) IMG_0468.jpg IMG_0459.jpg IMG_0474.JPG IMG_0476.JPG

How should I treat this? Right now I have temp up to 85 and blacked out assuming it’s just ich.
    Thanks everyone

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

Looks like ich in my opinion. I use Kordon ich attack which proves to be effective. I would also boost your fishes immune system with garlic which you would add to it's food. Because you have a flower horn, i would also stay away from any salt bath methods. I'm also not sure why you have blacked your tank out though. Ich is a parasite, and not photosythentic.

3. OP
    OP
    mitchellh97

mitchellh97 Valued Member Member

I’ve read that once ich falls from the fish to reproduce in the substrate that it can’t find a host in the dark and eventually dies off

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice