Ich Or Fin Rot??

JChi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I dealt with Ich a few months ago and I too have a few Glofish Tetra. It's treatable. It's a pain to deal with and takes a while to get rid of.

Ok, so there's a lot of treatment options for Ich, but to start off with, I'll ask you the basic questions that everyone asks. First is about the water parameters and the amount of water changes you do? Also, what other tank inhabitants do you have? Do you only have the tetras? Are your fish still eating and otherwise acting OK?

One method for treating Ich is with heat/salt. But if you have fish that don't tolerate higher temps (like Corydoras) this can be an issue. Anther method is with medicine. Most of the meds though are dangerous to invertebrates, so you can't use with snails and shrimps.

I went the meds route, because I have Corys. I used Seachem's Paraguard. I slowly added in the meds, starting with just a portion of the dose to make sure nobody had any adverse reactions. It's a milder med and not just for Ich, but I only saw a few spots like you have on a few of my fish, not all, so I went with a milder med. I treated the whole tank vs putting them in quarantine because once you have Ich, all the fish are exposed. There are other meds that are specific for Ich that I hear work well.

Regardless of which route you chose, I recommend really upping your water changes. The key is to really maintain your tank at a pristine level during treatment to keep the fish healthy.

mikefishies

Reaction score
Looks like Ich to me too. I'd recommend Seachem Paraguard, it treats both Ich and Fin Rot along with a ton of other diseases and is relatively safe for your aquarium & plants. You could go with Ich only medicine but if you're unsure it is better safe than sorry.
Note: If you're going to treat using medicine make sure to remove your chemical filtration otherwise it'll filter out the medicine rendering it useless.

Second method: there is a salt treatment method with high temperature, you'd have to check the ratio of salt-gallons. I've heard this works quite well but I've never really tested it, sounds kind of risky as different fish handle salt and higher temperatures differently.

Also, Ich usually develops due to weak immune systems of fish. Chances are something isn't correct in your tank, so you'll have to check your water parameters and make sure everything is good. I'd also recommend treating your whole tank as Ich lays eggs and by now all your fish have been exposed to it. Best of luck!

OP
D

Danielle1

Reaction score
Thanks all! We have had a lot of issues with our water quality and I know that’s how this started. We went out of town and while we were away there was a power outage. When we came home the tank had spiked Ammonia and was super cloudy. Pretty sure it completely set us back in our cycle. Since then we do 50% water changes every other day along w vacuuming and adding stress coat for the fish. They all seem to be doing ok. Haven’t lost any fish yet. We have 4 GloFish, the zebra tetra, and 3 plattys. I have only noticed the spots on the Zebra and pink. We are going the best we can do get ammonia to get back down and get this under control. It has been a nightmare.

JChi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Good luck! That’s stressful. Sorry you are dealing with that. Prime is also great for emergencies too. I dosed my tank with it daily when I ended up needing to do a fish-in cycle. You can dose higher than just a normal maintenance dose to neutralize the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom