Ich or columnaris?

MeepShirt

Have an established 29 gallon tank with hornwort.
4 black neon tetras, 4 assorted female guppies, 3 young bristlenose plecos, 2 ghost shrimp and 1 betta. Tank has been fine for the past 6 months but noticed some white spots after adding the guppies. Raised temp and added aquarium salt for what I thought was ich. Two days later everything but the guppies and the betta seem to have recovered but the guppies and betta are not looking good at all. Now I’m wondering if I misdiagnosed ich and the salt treatment made it worse for my betta. I attached a healthy pic of him for reference. Thank you

Attachments

• 7BB443B3-840C-426E-ACC4-93A7469136E2.jpeg
    7BB443B3-840C-426E-ACC4-93A7469136E2.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 35
  • ADC769F3-A200-472D-9EF2-B0E967BC3356.jpeg
    ADC769F3-A200-472D-9EF2-B0E967BC3356.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 8E2D5B52-E301-4262-B15D-450110A697EA.jpeg
    8E2D5B52-E301-4262-B15D-450110A697EA.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 35

Ghelfaire

It looks like ich to me.

MeepShirt

Should I do a water change? I read that while treating ich you shouldn’t. Once again Thank you for the advice

Ghelfaire

Should I do a water change? I read that while treating ich you shouldn’t. Once again Thank you for the advice
Not sure, I've only had to deal with ich once and those were tetras who could withstand medication.

StarGirl

I would do a water change and vacuum the gravel really good. I have never seen anything that said not to change water during Ick treatment. How much salt and how high did you turn the temp to? If you have a air stone I would add it when you up the heat.

The betta looks pretty rough Im guessing he got sick before the Guppies came. The Ick had a weak host.

How much water do you change on a weekly basis? Just curious.

MeepShirt

I would do a water change and vacuum the gravel really good. I have never seen anything that said not to change water during Ick treatment. How much salt and how high did you turn the temp to? If you have a air stone I would add it when you up the heat.

The betta looks pretty rough Im guessing he got sick before the Guppies came. The Ick had a weak host.

How much water do you change on a weekly basis? Just curious.
I added 5 tbsp of aquarium salt( 1tbsp per 5 gallon, I assumed that the gravel displaced a couple gallons). I have the temp raised to 78 at the moment I was afraid to go higher and fry my plecos. I do a 1/3 water change/gravel filter every weekend.

StarGirl

The temp has to be a bunch more to kill the Ick cycle. Like 85. What was your temp before you turned it up to 78? That is the Optimal temp range for a Betta anyway. 78-80* That could be a reason for the Betta not doing well.

MeepShirt

The temp has to be a bunch more to kill the Ick cycle. Like 85. What was your temp before you turned it up to 78? That is the Optimal temp range for a Betta anyway. 78-80* That could be a reason for the Betta not doing well.
It’s usually around 72-74, I had read that bettas would be okay in 72 but upon further reading it does mention that their immune systems will be weakened by the colder temp. I’ll definitely start increasing the temp to 85 like you said.
I saw a video and it said that if using the aquarium salt method to let it sit for 10 days otherwise the salt to water ratio will be off.

StarGirl

I would add an air stone too as oxygen is less at higher temps. Most fish can take the higher temp for a bit. You dont have Cories so that helps with the heat method. I'll have to look up that video.

MeepShirt

I would add an air stone too as oxygen is less at higher temps. Most fish can take the higher temp for a bit. You dont have Cories so that helps with the heat method. I'll have to look up that video.
Would an airstone be necessary with the sponge filter going already?

StarGirl

You shouldnt have film with a sponge filter going. That is strange.

Edit.....haha wrong thread.....lol

MeepShirt

Pumped it up to 85 and did a 50% water change now everything is looking much better(except the betta didn’t make it unfortunately)

Ghelfaire

Sorry to hear that

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AustinJ1991
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
moongirl1177