Ich or Breeding Tubercles!?

1. mika Initiate Member

Hello,

today I noticed that my black moor has white spots on his gill covers and it looks like maybe some on his front fins. I worried that it could be Ich. I've been very lucky in my year of having a tank so far I have never had an Ich outbreak.

453.jpg
    454.jpg
    455.jpg

Behavioral changes:
    I do think he has been chasing the other fish around a lot these past few days... This could just be me overly hopeful

Tank info:
    50gal
    been running a year
    it has been 4 months since the last addition of a fish
    water tests look to be within normal ranges
    weekly water change every monday

1 black moore
    3 other fantail gold fish
    4 dojo loaches
    1 snail

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Tubercles : refers to the small white dots or pimple like growths around the gill covers of male goldfish. Can be used as an indicator in determining the gender differences in Goldfish and Koi.

Hello Mika and Welcome to Fish Lore. This is a new one on me. I had to look up "tubercles" and I got the above definition. Let's see what some other experienced Goldfish members have to say.

I hope you enjoy the site. Lots of friendly people and tons of information.
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Ken

3. yukoandk Member Member

It looks like the bleeding tubercles to me. I have 3 males in my tank with those, and I knew what they were paired by observing their behavior--chasing the females. My males also have these white dots/bumps on their front fins, and these dots look almost "lined-up" on the front edge of the fins. It's a little difficult to see that kind of detail from the photos, but I think those on your black moor look just like them!

4. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore! You have some really nice goldies :) They look like breeding tubercules to me :)
    :;hi1

5. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

I vote breeding tubercles!!! the ones on his gill covers are in a definate pattern. Ich is random. Better get a breeding mop if you want to raise any!!!!!

6. mika Initiate Member

Thanks everyone for your input!
    I do think it is breeding tubercles after all. :) I had no idea that male gold fish even developed them in the first place!