Ich On Cardinal Tetras Only

jnocella

Reaction score
In my 29 gallon planted tank, there are 10 neon tetras, 4 cardinal tetras, and 4 black neon tetras. A few days ago, I noticed white spots on the cardinal tetras only. Two became severe have since passed and the other two are quarantined. I've been treating them with Imagitarium Parasite Remedy, salt and raised temperature. I'm wondering why only the cardinals were infected. I do weekly 30% water changes and take good care of the tank. The only issue I've had is cyanobacteria, so I cleaned it out and cut back on the light. Any ideas on why this happened to only the cardinals?

How long has the tank been running? 6 months
Does it have a filter? Yes - 1 sunsun 302 canister and 1 large sponge filter
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? typically 79 degrees, now 83 degrees
What is the entire stocking of this tank? 10 neon tetras, 4 cardinal tetras, 3 black neon, 3 panda corys, 2 albino corys, 2 peppered corys & 1 bronze cory

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? once per week
How much of the water do you change? 30%
What do you use to treat your water? Seachem Prime & API aquarium salt
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? substrate & water

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes
What do you use to test the water? API test kits
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:20-40ppm
pH:8

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 1-2 daily
How much do you feed your fish? a few pinches- enough for 1-2 mins of eating
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Fluval Bug Bites, API shrimp pellets for corys, frozen bloodworms & frozen brine shrimp 3x per week
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Yes

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? cardinals about 2 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 4 days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? white spots on cardinal tetras only
Have you started any treatment for the illness? yes - Imagitarium Parasite Remedy
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? 2 cardinals passed & 2 are currently infected but seem OK.

JJfishes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've had my Cardinal and Neon Tetras get Ick two times. Once in May, and Once in June.
Ick is usually caused by a drop in temperature during a W/C and that's what happend in my case.

My Cardinals and Neons were the only ones in the tank who got Ick. It's easier for Ick to attack a stressed fish/school of fish than a Fish that isn't stressed and has a high immune system.

I don't see any fish you have that would stress the Cardinals, but Cardinals should be in an acidic pH, Around 6.5 to 6.8, So it's possible that it where the stress is coming from with the high pH when they thrive in a lower pH.

I've never tried the Imagitarium Parasite Remedy, when mine got Ick, I used the Tetra Ick Remedy fizzing tablets, and I stand behind them 100%.

I'm sorry you lost 2 of the Cardinals.

Good luck and I hope you can get this situation under control.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@jnocella Either the Cardinal Tetras came with ich or they are more susceptible to the strain of ich that is present.

One way that Cardinals may have ich without it being noticed is within the gills where it would be unobservable by the aquarist.

Another possibility is the ich was being carried in the skin but not able to complete its development into the white spot while the immune system was strong. But that would suggest conditions changed to reduce the immune response.

I understand that fish that have developed immunity to ich can carry the parasite without it reaching maturity and being observable.

Last edited:
OP
jnocella

jnocella

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Overall, I lost three cardinal tetras and the one remaining cardinal looks like he's going to be OK. There are still a few spots but he's very active and eating well. I'll work on lowering the PH. It looks like the treatment & raised temp to 84 degrees is helping. All of my other fish are 100% OK. Is it risky to have the cardinal in the tank with the rest of the fish? All other fish are 100% OK - no spots, active & eating well.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As long as there are spots there will be the free-swimming stage in the water which must be killed with ich medication.

This is why the instructions usually say to treat for another 48 hours even if all the spots have gone.

From what I remember the white spot matures and leaves the fish, resting in the gravel before releasing a large number of the free swimming form of the ich parasite which reinfect the fish.

Ich medication mainly kills the parasite in its free-swimming form.

RyanLee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would keep an eye on the rest of your fish, there is probably ich in there also, but maybe it hasnt attached to your fish. Vacuuming the gravel helps git rid of it. FYI ich cannot reproduce at temps over 82 and cardinals can handle the heat.

OP
jnocella

jnocella

Reaction score
I would keep an eye on the rest of your fish, there is probably ich in there also, but maybe it hasnt attached to your fish. Vacuuming the gravel helps git rid of it. FYI ich cannot reproduce at temps over 82 and cardinals can handle the heat.
Thanks. I've been keeping the temp at 83-84 degrees. I've been vacuuming and changing 30% water every other day. Spots are gone on the cardinal and the rest of my fish are doing well.

Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Weekly

Votes: 74 66.7%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 14 12.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 19 17.1%

Top Bottom