ICH is Gone

Fixed thanks

Thanks

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Unfortunately, you added too many fish too quickly in a non-cycled tank.

There's simply no way your tank would've cycled in a week's time. What exactly were your readings?

Please look at the link in my siggy line to see how to deal with ich. Not sure how the steps work with a tank that's still cycling, but it's a start.

I would return all the fish to the LFS. You should have at least a 24 hour return period, if not longer. Tell them they sold you fish that are diseased.

Better to cycle your tank completely, then add your fish very slowly. You don't want to start off with ich. That's a pretty bad beginning and you don't know if any fish would survive it.

You should also read the information on the nitrogen cycle (link in siggy).

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi fraserm welcome to FishLore!!
I'm wondering how you cycled your tank in a week. It takes close to a month, give or take for the correct bacteria to develop. The fact that you have 0 nitrates indicate the tank is not cycled.
What are the readings for ammonia and nitrite?

Ich can be treated by raising the temp to 86F, Leave it there for at least 2 weeks. Add an air stone to make up for less oxygen is the warmer water.
Do water changes and gravel vacs to pick up any ich spores and free floaters.

Lynda lol

SFwriter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you can return the fish, I would still raise the empty tank water temperature to 86F to make sure all the ich is dead.

fraserm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Alright what about the Pleco can he stay in while salt is added?

fraserm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My tank was cycled with Cycle made by hagen. I went down and talked to the owner of the local fish store and she said that I could add some fish to my tank. She even tested it. Apparently that Cycle works like a charm and I could add fish to my tank after a few days.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm sorry to say but Cycle doesn't contain the right bacteria that will sustain your tank. That's why you have to keep adding it with every water change.
It won't allow your tank to grow the correct bacteria.
It would be a good idea to get yourself a good liquid test kit. The API master kit is very reliable.

Edit: Sorry, I missed this question. Plecos don't do well with salt.

SFwriter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm sorry to say but Cycle doesn't contain the right bacteria that will sustain your tank. That's why you have to keep adding it with every water change.
Rinse, lather, repeat. It's good for business. (Not necessarily good for the customer.)

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads