Ich In Tank

Ashleigh Sarah

Reaction score
I have a 43g tank with 3 Platys, 4 guppies and 2 mollies. The tank was cycled prior to adding any fish and the fish have been living happily in it for about 3months (starting adding them around 4months ago, last one was added around 3months ago).

Up until today I have had no problems but I have noticed one of the Platys has a few spots of what I believe to be ich. This is my first big tank but I’m have smaller 15g tanks growing up and have seen ich before in fish.

I have treated the tank with blue planet white spot remedy but I am seeing so much conflicting information on the internet regarding heat and salt instead of medication. I am looking for some advice on the best course of action here. I really don’t want to lose any fish as I am very attached to the little guys.

I have attached a few photos of the fish with the obvious spots, although they aren’t fantastic.

Thanks in advance!

5FD839CD-CC8A-48DE-AE12-560633A5DC7A.jpeg
C1C82FBF-723E-4621-B467-827D331CC16F.jpeg

Kristian Acevedo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Turn your heat up to 86/88 degrees, for 2/3 weeks. Forget the salt, the heat should do all the work. Make sure to do really good gravel vacs every 2-3 days, to pick up all the ich spores that have fallen off the fish.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you've started with ich medication finish the treatment.

There are several different ways to treat ich. There's medication, there's salt, there's temperature. Combining two of the treatments is going to be very stressful to your fish. If you've already started the medication, follow the instructions very carefully. Lots of people stop treatment when the white spots fall off, but you have to treat for the duration because ich is not visible for a large part of its life cycle.

Ashleigh Sarah

Reaction score
If you've started with ich medication finish the treatment.

There are several different ways to treat ich. There's medication, there's salt, there's temperature. Combining two of the treatments is going to be very stressful to your fish. If you've already started the medication, follow the instructions very carefully. Lots of people stop treatment when the white spots fall off, but you have to treat for the duration because ich is not visible for a large part of its life cycle.
Okay, thank you
The medication I have says to treat again in three days time. I’ve removed the carbon from my filter also.

The fish that has a few spots, should I expect him to get worse before he gets better?

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Okay, thank you
The medication I have says to treat again in three days time. I’ve removed the carbon from my filter also.

The fish that has a few spots, should I expect him to get worse before he gets better?
Please don't heat and salt the tank. Not your best course of action for a variety of reasons I won't go into here.

Medication and pristine conditions are your best choice. The pristine water allows fish to naturally help deter reattachment of ich as it progresses and medication kills the ich in its free swimming stage.

Keep the substrate vacuumed to pick up as much as possible of what is on the ground during that portion of its life cycle, medicate to kill it in its free swimming form and keep great water to give the fish their best chance to fight it naturally as well.

Personally I utilize Paraguard as it's a daily dose, cycle safe, you can water change and vacuum daily and it's safe for even the most sensitive of fish. But many meds are highly successful in treating ich just be sure to use them according to the directions.

Also Blue Planet White Spot Treatment does contain Malachite Green, so be sure to watch that you don't get a bump in your cycle during or after treatment. It should not be enough to decimate your cycle but you may see a bump and you won't want to stress the fish so keep an eye out for a few days and take action if necessary.

Ashleigh Sarah

Reaction score
Please don't heat and salt the tank. Not your best course of action for a variety of reasons I won't go into here.

Medication and pristine conditions are your best choice. The pristine water allows fish to naturally help deter reattachment of ich as it progresses and medication kills the ich in its free swimming stage.

Keep the substrate vacuumed to pick up as much as possible of what is on the ground during that portion of its life cycle, medicate to kill it in its free swimming form and keep great water to give the fish their best chance to fight it naturally as well.

Personally I utilize Paraguard as it's a daily dose, cycle safe, you can water change and vacuum daily and it's safe for even the most sensitive of fish. But many meds are highly successful in treating ich just be sure to use them according to the directions.

Also Blue Planet White Spot Treatment does contain Malachite Green, so be sure to watch that you don't get a bump in your cycle during or after treatment. It should not be enough to decimate your cycle but you may see a bump and you won't want to stress the fish so keep an eye out for a few days and take action if necessary.
Thank you for your advice, I had actually heard really good things about Paraguard but unfortunately at least where I am in Australia it’s nearly impossible to find. I didn’t want to have to wait for it to arrive by mail as I felt I needed to start treatment ASAP.

I have woken up this morning and the platy who had a few spots yesterday appears to have none today however one of the mollies has about 3-4 little spots on her.

Is it normal for the spots to vanish so quickly? I was expecting it to get worse before it got better.

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ich...
Even when you haven't seen spots for a week may well still be in the system. Understanding the life cycle is crucial to actually eradicating it. I'll try to keep it simple.
Stage 1 : you see spots on your fish. You cannot kill or remove these spots and they are essentially feeding on your fish getting ready to reproduce. This is where healthy fish help the process as the healthier and happier they are the less spots they will receive to start.
Stage 2 : those spots? They fell off, they are now in your gravel preparing to "hatch into a TON more potential spots. This is when you can help get rid of it through gravel vacuuming daily, these cannot be killed but can be removed.
Stage 3 : Crucial time... Spots are now" hatched" and swimming around in the water column hoping to attach to a fish. This where you can remove them AND kill them. Meds kill, water changes remove, healthy happy fish resist attachment.

Theory of salt... Salt irritates fish causing a type of stress making them produce extra slime coating theoretically making it difficult for ich to attach. Ich also attaches to gills and salt does not kill ich meaning you're stressing your fish and it may not do any good anyway. Plus a LOT of fish are sensitive or completely intolerant of any amount of salt and it can be potentially fatal.

Theory of heat... Heat speeds up the life cycle of ich, potentially allowing you to eradicate it more quickly. High temps can stress fish especially when they occur quickly. A slow increase over 7-14 days is easier on them but pointless when treating ich. There are also many strains of ich, you don't know which one you have and some ich can survive temps up to 96°F which is completely intolerable to almost all fish. If you have a cold water tank increasing heat to the mid 70's F makes treating for it much easier but at tropical temperatures increasing heat is another unnecessary and stressful method that may or may not work.

Treat with proper ich med with ingredients known to kill ich (you have) treatment should extend at least 7 days at tropical temps past the last signs of ich ON the fish. I always treat at least 10. Most treatments last 7-21 days depending in the level of infestation. I never treat less than 14 days, I've never had a reoccurance of ich in a tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom