Ich In Quarantine Tank Question

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by WRXTerror, Apr 13, 2017.

1. WRXTerror

WRXTerror New Member Member

I have Ich in my quarantine tank. I have 3 swordtails and an Amano Shrimp in the tank. I have been doing heat treatment for 2 weeks at 87 degrees and the ich keeps coming back. I guess I need to medicate or salt. I have never had inverts and know my meds are not safe for them. Can I just move them to my community tank since they aren't supposed to be carriers? Should I add salt? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Valued Member Member

what other inverts do you have?
    Amano shrimps are thankfully Ichthyophthirius multifiliis intolerant :]
    14 days at 87 should have done the trick though, just how many fish have the ich?

3. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Here are some safe medications for amano shrimps. Definitely would not have amano shrimps in a quarantine tank due to their limited ability to withstand medications.

Shrimp Safe Medicines / Treatments

Paraguard - Generally considered safe when following directions. If used for more than 5~7 days may cause deformities the next time the shrimp molts.
    Used for: Killing hydra, ich (in a shrimp + fish tank) and treating bacterial infections. Often used to treat new shrimp when adding to a tank.
    Where to buy: LFS

Melafix - Generally considered safe when following directions.
    Used for: Bacterial infections. Often used to treat new shrimp when adding to a tank.

Praziquantel (Prazi Pro/ Sera Tremazol) - Generally considered safe when following directions.
    Used for: Killing parasitic worms/leeches

Flubendazole - Generally considered safe when following directions.
    Used for: Killing hydra and planaria
    Where to buy:   (Can purchase pure Flubendazole in powder)

Fenbendazole - Generally considered safe. Not made for aquarium use, google for dosage recommendations.
    Used for: Killing hydra and planaria
    Where to buy: Purchase as Safeguard dog dewormer at most pet stores; you will need to grind up to dose. Premixed fluid suspensions can be purchased for use in goats/horses from vet or feed stores.

Dried Indian Almond Leaves (Catappa & ketapang) - Generally considered safe. Will discolor water and may lower PH
    Used for: Believed to help fight bacterial infections in shrimp
    Where to buy: Online, SCAPE meetings, some pet stores who sell shrimp

Dried Guava Leaves - Generally considered safe. Will not discolor water or alter PH
    Used for: Believe to help fight bacterial infections in shrimp
    Where to buy: Online, neighbors yard

Erythromycin (Maracyn) - Generally considered safe when following directions.
    Used for: Fight blue-green algae (BGA) outbreaks, bacterial infections

4. OP
    OP
    WRXTerror

Wow thanks for all the details on the Meds! I have both Paraguard and PraziPro but both said not to use with Inverts. I will give the paraguard a shot. I only have the one amano shrimp in the tank, I bought two but one died in a few days. I bummed the temp up to 88 hoping that maybe i just had the heat resistant ich, but no change. Adding paraguard and keeping temps up. Thanks again for all the detail!

5. OP
    OP
    WRXTerror

Also from now on I'll skip the quarantine on Shrimp since they are not carriers of fish disease.

6. OP
    OP
    WRXTerror

2 of the 3 have the ich. One of the swordtails hasn't had a single spot or any flashing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice