Ich In Purple Emperor Tetra

HI all,

All of a sudden I noticed white spots on these purple emperor tetra just after a day they looked so colourful. Soon the other tank mate ember tetra too got the white spot. Just set the temperature at 84 degrees.will this help ? Or should I put them on some medications?
It’s a 80L planted tank. Tropica substrate some rocks and lots of plants
Attaching before and after pictures
IMG_6925.JPGIMG_7238.JPG

At 84 you will speed up the lifecycle, but you won’t kill the ich. You’ll have to raise the temperature to 86 to kill ich. Some of your fish seem to have quite a lot of ich. I would recommend seeking meds. Temperature treatment can take several days to show result, and by the looks of it your fish may not have that time

At 84 you will speed up the lifecycle, but you won’t kill the ich. You’ll have to raise the temperature to 86 to kill ich. Some of your fish seem to have quite a lot of ich. I would recommend seeking meds. Temperature treatment can take several days to show result, and by the looks of it your fish may not have that time

Thank you for the timely reply, while using the medicine can I maintain the same temperature 86 degrees or should I lower it ?

Thank you for the timely reply, while using the medicine can I maintain the same temperature 86 degrees or should I lower it ?
Most meds will recommend you raise temp to speed up the lifecycle, so you won’t have a re-outbreak. 84 should be enough to speed the lifecycle. Most meds will say what temp in the description of treatment.

Remember that ich damages gills, and during this time (raised temp=less oxygen) your fish will be struggling and stressed from meds, so you should get an airstone if you don’t already

Most meds will recommend you raise temp to speed up the lifecycle, so you won’t have a re-outbreak. 84 should be enough to speed the lifecycle. Most meds will say what temp in the description of treatment.

Remember that ich damages gills, and during this time (raised temp=less oxygen) your fish will be struggling and stressed from meds, so you should get an airstone if you don’t already

I just bought this Ocean Free White Spot Special, recommended dosage 2 full cap for a 2 feet tank, daily I guess? Nothing mentioned about temperature, so I will retain the same 84 and try this out. Can I use the same airstone from my other tank in to this tank. Later I won’t use it back in to the old tank for sure.

One emperor tetra and 2 ember tetra died this morning. Full oxygen and 84 degrees and white spot medicine since last night, nothing helped may be its too early I have to wait

Last edited by a moderator:
It's way too early still unfortunately. The lifecycle of ich has 3 stages. One you're seeing on your fish. That's the parasitic stage. They're walled in and growing. Next comes the reproductive stage where they will drop off the fish, forming a protective cyst and divide thousands of times each. Finally the free swimming stage where they search for a host to begin the cycle again. The free swimming stage is the only stage you will be able to treat them so don't stop treatment early just because you don't see spots or it will only come back. Continue for about a week after.

It's way too early still unfortunately. The lifecycle of ich has 3 stages. One you're seeing on your fish. That's the parasitic stage. They're walled in and growing. Next comes the reproductive stage where they will drop off the fish, forming a protective cyst and divide thousands of times each. Finally the free swimming stage where they search for a host to begin the cycle again. The free swimming stage is the only stage you will be able to treat them so don't stop treatment early just because you don't see spots or it will only come back. Continue for about a week after.

Thank you, seems I have some scope of saving some remaining fishes. Poor fish I can’t see them free floating all around the tank, recommended dosage is 2 full cap, but it’s daily or weekly nothing is mentioned . I increased the temperature to 86 degrees.

The otocinclus always trying to eat the ich on other fishes body but the infected fishes are not ok with that. One emperor tetra died just now so the oto took all the liberty to graze its surface like in the attached IMG_7257.JPGIMG_7262.JPGIMG_7259.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah they're microscopic, if you share a picture of the instructions for what you're using might be helpful, I tried looking them up but couldn't find it. I've only ever used salt for treating it. I'd assume if all they recommended was 2 full caps for your tanks volume and no repeating they expect you to only dose once and probably not water change for the duration of the treatment? Or if you do a 50% water change, add 1 cap full back with the new water, or a 25% and add half of a cap back...

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom