Ich in planted tank with shrimp and cories

Tk82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My community tank currently has an ich outbreak. Usually i would treat with meds containing malachite green or methelyne blue..however, i have live plants with amano shrimps, cory cats along with various other fish. Since saturday ive raised the temp slowly to 86° and started dosing with kordons ich attack. Im using kordons because its all natural and wont negatively effect plants and inverts.... Well, to me it doesnt seem like its doing anything. Is there another effective natural ich med or effective way i can get rid this headache(ich)without hurting my plants, shrimp and cories?

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The best more "natural" way that worked for me was just the heat treatment alone. Make sure you do regular gravel vacs to get any fallen ich spores out of the substate and water column.

Tk82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yea, the temp has been at 86 since sat. And even with the meds i can still see white spot on 1 of my cardinal tetra. Im not sure how long the plants and cories can endure high heat

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It'll take some time for you to see no ich spots on the fish. The het speeds up their life cycle so they should fall off soon. The gravel vacs ensure you get them out the tank and don't reinfect another fish. Most fish can handle the high temp since its temporary. I had neon tetras go through the heat treatment and they did perfectly fine those 2 weeks.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would not use the heat method and treat with meds at the same time as that would increase the stress in fish. Since you already started medicating, I'd slowly bring the temp back down.

Tanks and Plants

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What about adding a little aquarium salt to the tank? I have a planted community and it had ick once before. I have Congos, Cory's, BNP, SAE's, and ghost shrimps.
I also used Nox-Ich at 1/4 the dosage rate. All my fish and shrimp made it through. I don't have a heater because where I live it is kinda hot and my tanks run around the 80's. It did take a while to get the ich killed though. But it was worth it.

Good Luck!

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What about adding a little aquarium salt to the tank? I have a planted community and it had ick once before. I have Congos, Cory's, BNP, SAE's, and ghost shrimps.
I also used Nox-Ich at 1/4 the dosage rate. All my fish and shrimp made it through. I don't have a heater because where I live it is kinda hot and my tanks run around the 80's. It did take a while to get the ich killed though. But it was worth it.

Good Luck!
I know some use salt but it's really not needed at all when treating ich. Heat alone should get rid of it.

Tanks and Plants

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I know some use salt but it's really not needed at all when treating ich. Heat alone should get rid of it.
I agree with you, I just used it in my tank to help out. Plus because I don't have a heater I used the salt and the med.

Thanks for the advice!

Brandon

Tk82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ive heard that using salt would melt my plants and it wasnt good for scaleless fish.

Tanks and Plants

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ive heard that using salt would melt my plants and it wasnt good for scaleless fish.

I have used salt in my planted tank and I had no problems.
I have......

Anubias
Amazon Swords
Rotala
Ludwiga (Red) Can't remember the full name
Purple Bamboo

Clown Loaches
Tiger Botias

As for the loaches and Botias I have them in my Cichlid tank and I have the pH at 8.4, dgh 16, dkh 10 and they are doing fine.

I am sure there are plants that will melt if you put too much salt in the tank and what I did for my tank was put in 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt for every 10 gallons.

But what you and el said I agree with 100%, if you can just heat up the tank and leave it there then that should work and let the ick run its cycle then everything should be ok.

Good Luck!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom