Ich in my tank

1. dahly Member Member

Last night I noticed 2 white Skirts and 1 Neon with white spots, presumably Ich. From my readings, I will do a 20% water change and add the medication. I won't use malachite green, as it is "hard on scaleless fish like catfish and other fish such as tetra's." (www.thetropicaltank.co.uk) I'll pick up something on the way home with cooper and/or formalin and treat the tank. I raised the tank temp to 82 as also directed, and this morning all the fish were extremely animated and lively. The spots were still there, but I hadn't seen all the fish sooo active in days. Please confirm I'm on the right track! Thanks

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

You are definately on the right track. Raising the temp was the right first step. The warmer the tank the shorter the treatment time.
    Here is a link explaining the pro/con of different medicines. Keep us posted.
    Carol

3. dahly Member Member

Butterfly,
    No link attached.
    Thanks,
    Glenn

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

5. dahly Member Member

Thanks Carol. I will go with Coppersafe or Aquarisol. I will do the water change first, then apply meds as directed. Two white Skirts had spots weeks ago that went away when I raised the tank temp, as someone, somewhere, had suggested. This time I will use meds. Thanks again!

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome!! ;D
    Carol

7. dahly Member Member

I did go to my lfs Monday and spoke to the guy I trust the most there.  He said that anything with cooper would work but would stay in my tank "forever" and precludes me from adding live plants in the future.  He recommended Nox-ich from webco pharm.  It removes the slime coat on the fish and the spots fall off; which it did after one application.   ;D  I've added it to my tank for two days now and have only tonight left as the treatment is for 3 days, skip a day and repeat until the Ich/spots are gone.  I've read that the ich parasite remains in the water, so I've kept up the dosage, as directed.  I did, however, cut the dosage in half because it had the malachite green as part of the medication, which can harm scaleless fish (cory's) and tetra's.  He also said to lower the temp to just 80 degrees, which would still work and not stress the fish I have as much.  The fish all seem fine.  I wonder if I should repeat after skipping tomorrow, just to be sure the ich has been eradicated.  He also said that my twice weekly 25% water changes may have brought on the Ich.  Changing that much so often can stress the fish and cause the ich, which lies dormant in fish until they are stressed, to erupt.  I will now try changing 15-20% weekly, and carefully monitor the water chemistry.  I changed so much because I was having so many water problems and fish deaths.  Perhaps I did over do it?  Please share your thoughts as to what I've done and what the lfs has said.  Thanks,  Glenn

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I'm not familiar with that particular ich treatment, but if it wortks thats great. As for the other, copper is removed by water changes. Just make sure to follow the directions exactly. Changing the directions or halfing them can change the results.
    If you lowered your temp to 80 degrees what was it before.
    I really don't think the water changes caused the ich. Usually the more water changes the better.
    A chill or new fish can cause ich and maybe the problems you have been combating caused some stress but sounds like you have it in hand now. Keep us posted.
    Carol

9. dahly Member Member

Ich seems gone. The spots were gone after one day, but I treated for 3 days, with half doses, as directed. I changed 30% yesterday and will change 25- 30% tomorrow. I will wait until after T.G. to add any more fish. Right now, my ever changing plan is to add 3 more Diamond Neon's, a pair of Dwarf Gourami's and 2-3 male guppies. Ich bitter? I'd say so! ;D

10. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Sounds like a good plan. ;D
    Carol