Ich in my new tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by LabRat38, Mar 19, 2010.

1. L

LabRat38 New Member Member

I thought I was doing pretty well with my two month old tank but I came home from work tonight to find white spots on my new cardinals. The other fish don't have white spots as far as I can tell but I have seen some of them flashing. So something tells me that ich is working on them too. Anyway I would like to try increasing the temperature on my tank for a couple of weeks. I really don't want to add any chemicals or salt unless I have too. With neon tetras, cardinal tetras and platies is it safe to increase the temp to 86 degrees. I don't really know if my species of fish can handle that temp for that long. Also, is there a sign/point that I need to use chemicals to keep from losing my fish. If there is a point where I need to add something what is the best product. I appreciate any advice that can be given here.

2. C

Craig-D Valued Member Member

I know a lot of people recommend treating ich by raising temperatures to obscene levels, but I'm not an advocate of that approach. It really depletes the available oxygen for the fish. There are non-chemical treatments available. I recommend Kordon's Ich-Attack. It is herbal, not chemical, and it doesn't harm your fish at all, yet is just as effective as the harsh chemical stuff. I have used it for ich and it worked wonderfully. The only downside is it smells horrible and it will stain your tank a bit (though not permanently - it comes right off).

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello LabRat

:animal0068:I've moved your thread to the Freshwater Fish Disease section of the forum.

Here are two links on ICH:

https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/CuringIch.htm

I recommend the heat treatment the most. Increasing the temperature to 86 interrupts the life cycle of the ICH. Leave the temperature raised for a full two weeks. ICH may appear worse before it gets better. Warmer waters require more oxygen so an air stone/supply line is also recommended. Do two gravel vacuums each week to remove the spores that fall off the fish and into the substrate. Some members use salt in addition to increased temperatures and some don't. Personally I wouldn't use salt. (you'll get various opinions on adding salt)

I haven't used any ICH medications in the past 11 years so I can't recommend one to use. If all of the fish are severely covered in ICH then I would consider using medications. Be careful with medications as some of them can ruin your cycle.

I'm sure you'll get more responses.

Best of luck for a full recovery and please keep us posted.
    Ken

4. OP
    OP
    L

I have two airstones in the lift tubes of the ugf and two air stones for two decorations. Also the HOB for aeration. Is that enough or should I be doing more.

Also, I have some folks on the net say that daily water changes are necessary with gravel vacuuming. Is this overkill or necessary to do it this often. Does it actually help or just stress the fish out from disturbing them every day.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  5. OP
    OP
    L

More questions about this process. I had a platy give birth sometime last night. I didn't even know she was pregnant. I hadn't noticed her being larger or anything. So I have seen a few little babies swimming around. I have Mardel Coppersafe in the tank for treating the Ich and I have raised the temperature to around 86 F to speed up the cycle of the ich. But now I have noticed that the platy aren't acting real active anymore. They are clamping their fins and even just laying on the bottom of the tank. The weird thing is that none of them are showing signs or ever did show signs of having ich. Are they not adjusting well to the increased temperature. Or are they a known species to not do well with Coppersafe. My cardinals are the only fish that ever had white spots. Now they still have white spots but are acting fine along with the neon tetra. I am not sure what to do at this point. Should I do a water change with the appropriate amount of coppersafe to keep the concentration of coppersafe constant. Should I lower the temperature before it is too late. I am at a loss on what to do at this point. Thanks for any advice.

6. L

Leen New Member Member

I recently just go rid of an Ich outbreak in my tank. Interestingly enough, the cardinals i added were the ones who brought the disease into the tank. I don't know much about baby fish so I can't help with that. But regarding the ich, I brought my tank up to 82 degrees and added Ich Attack twice daily. Also, remove any carbon in your filter. I recommend ich attack because its 100% organic and won't mess up the cycle or have a damaging effect on the fish. Also, it doesn't say it on the bottle, but when I went on Novalek's website, the company that makes ich attack, they recommend treating the tank twice daily because ich reproduces within 24 hours. By dosing the tank every 12 hours it helps prevent the ich from multiplying. Another interesting fact is that the med is not effective until the ich spores have fallen from the fish and become free floating. This is why it is necessary to continue treatment at least 4 days after the last white spot disappears. I hope this helps and I hope your fish get better.

7. jen_jen_ng

jen_jen_ng New Member Member

In the same situation

Oh gosh, I'm in kinda a similar situation. I did as much homework about cycling tank and other preparations, and my nightmare still came true. Today is the 3rd day my two male guppies are introduced to their new tanks and I started to see them flashing against gravels and plants. I think they have the early stage of ich (no signs of white spots yet). Please keep me posted on your procedures and how it's working for you. I'm so lost and I don't know what action to take. I'll probably use the heat and chemical method. I'll try to keep you posted on my part too and what chemicals I used, etc.

Best of luck!
    - Jennifer

8. Aquarist

Good morning,

Please note that by increasing your temperature in your tank to 86 degrees, medications are usually not necessary. If you have a severe case of ICH and fish are dying, then I would consider medications. Some medications can ruin your cycle so be careful.

Ken

9. jen_jen_ng

Thanks for your reply, Ken^^
    I have some more questions for you (I'm a completely newbie to these, so forgive me if I ask too much questions >.<)

If I increase the temperature and speed the life cycle of this parasite, would this temperature kill the tomites and stop it from spreading and launching to other guppies? I thought that is where meds play a role to kill them as temperature speeds up their life cycle?

- Jennifer

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  10. Aquarist

Hey Jen, :;hi2

I haven't had to use any medications in my tanks for the past 10 years. I can't honestly say which medicines are good and which ones are bad, nor can I say exactly what all of these medications do.

My guide line for disease is, why use medications when they aren't necessary and risk the tanks cycle, and why risk fishes lives that may not handle the medicines well.

The Tomites do not handle the increased temperatures well and by leaving the temperatures raised for the full two weeks will help prevent immediate reinfections of the ICH. So again the medicines for ICH aren't necessary. However, if you feel you have a severe case of ICH in your tank then by all means use the medications if you feel that is what's needed. I'm sure some other members can advise you on a good medicine choice.

:animal0068:LabRat...we didn't mean to hijack your thread :)

Jen, be sure to create a thread and introduce yourself to the forum so you can get a proper welcome! Welcome to Fish Lore by the way! :) You don't have to apologize for asking questions. :) That's why we're here, to help each other and share experience so that we can all become better fish keepers. :animal0028:

Best wishes for everyone's fish here dealing with ICH.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  11. jen_jen_ng

Thanks for the tip, Ken!
    I just made a new intro thread about me =) (hopefully at a right place)
    Should I also create a new thread about my Ich problems?

And sorry LabRat, hehe, I really didn't mean to hijack your thread at all. In addition, I like to thank you for your thread and your sharings in which it has lead me to become a member here^^

- Jennifer

12. Aquarist

Jen,

If LabRat would like anything removed I'll be happy to. Since it's all dealing with the same subject I'll leave it be for now. Or if you ever want something moved to another thread that can be done too. If you have other ICH issues or any issues by all means you can create your own thread in the proper category.

I hope you enjoy the site.
    Ken

13. jen_jen_ng

Hey Ken,

I've started a new thread about my problem. It'll be really great if you can check on me when you have the time. I decided to use your suggestion and give my guppies the heat treatment =D (thanks Ken!!). I have more questions though...

As for the posts, I don't need anything of these to be moved to the new thread but if LabRat wants it to be removed that is absolutely fine with me.

Thanks a lot,
    - Jennifer

14. OP
    OP
    L

No apologies necessary. You may leave everything as it is. To update on my situation I ended up switching treatments mid stream. The Coppersafe seemed to be affecting my platies pretty bad and since they just had fry I didn't want to send them spiraling down out of control. Especially since they were the fish in the first place that showed no signs of Ich. They eventually did show some small white spots on their fins but it didn't progress any further on them. All of my cardinals ended up succombing to the ich within in a few days. That stinks but I have managed to keep everyone else in good shape. After 4 or 5 days (I forget now) of Coppersafe I did a few water changes in a 24 hour period to reduce the amount of copper in my tank to a almost non-existent level. I then started using Rid Ich +. As many have said on here this product does stain plastic and rubber. So one of my decorations has taken on a blue tint and the silicone seals are also blue. Not too horrible unless you are really anal about the look of your tank. I treated with Rid Ich + for 9 days at full strength. I have tetras in my tank but I still did full strength since I lost all my cardinal tetras, I wanted to make sure I had enough concentration of Rid Ich + to completely erradicate the Ich. The neons did show signs of being stressed by the Rid Ich + but they were still eating so I kept doing water changes and dosing every day. Saturday (2 days ago) was the ninth dose of Rid Ich +. I hadn't seen any Ich in the tank for probably 6-7 days. So yesterday I decided to give the fish some relief. I did a 50% water change, vacuumed all the gravel in the tank and put the activated carbon back in my UGF and HOB filters. So only time will tell now if I have erradicated the Ich or not. I am crossing my fingers. Also throughout the treatment with both Coppersafe and Rid Ich + I kept the temp at 82 F and monitored my water parameters every day at least once.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  15. jen_jen_ng

Good to hear some updates from you. Keep up the work!

I also really want to thank you. Your post showed up when I was googling for info about my problems which then lead me to become a member now and there are quite a few welcoming ppl that are taking care of me~ hehe

Keep us posted. I wish you all the best! >=)

~ Jennifer ~

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice