Ich In My New Tank

kayla20johnson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Alright everyone, I posted about a week ago about have having ICH in my 5gallon betta tank. He is responding very well.

NOW I have started my 55 Gallon tank. The water has low ammonia which I am taking care of, and no signs of nitrate/nitrite. Well, I was examining my fish today who are in the 55 gallon, and 2 of them have white spots on their tail fins and dorsals. Both of them are Tetras.

Now I am just sort of frustrated because the water is brand new, still trying to get a cycle, and has not been contaminated with anything from my other tank.

What the heck? Why is this happening?
757e15a6f207a6cba12cdb1606082a88.jpg

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
do you use the same water siphon or net for both?

kayla20johnson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
NavyChief20 said:
do you use the same water siphon or net for both?
No, completely separate.
1) I this is my first water change for this tank and did not use the same.

2) I have separate nets.

Like I said, I have not crossed anything due to my betta having ICH

kayla20johnson said:
Alright everyone, I posted about a week ago about have having ICH in my 5gallon betta tank. He is responding very well.

NOW I have started my 55 Gallon tank. The water has low ammonia which I am taking care of, and no signs of nitrate/nitrite. Well, I was examining my fish today who are in the 55 gallon, and 2 of them have white spots on their tail fins and dorsals. Both of them are Tetras.

Now I am just sort of frustrated because the water is brand new, still trying to get a cycle, and has not been contaminated with anything from my other tank.

What the heck? Why is this happening? View attachment 439214
Just realized 3 of them have it. And all 3 of them happen to be from the same store, and are the ones who are supposedly injected with dye.

Puck44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Where do you get your fish from? They could have an ick outbreak or it is a chain store.

kayla20johnson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Puck44 said:
Where do you get your fish from? They could have an ick outbreak or it is a chain store.
It’s a LFS and it has been there for years. They just opened up a new one a couple of hours away; same owners and all.

Puck44

Valued Member
Reaction score
kayla20johnson said:
It’s a LFS and it has been there for years. They just opened up a new one a couple of hours away; same owners and all.
Oh, ok. Do you know how to treat ick?
I am not very knowledgeable on this topic but Someone on here might be able to tell you how.

kayla20johnson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Puck44 said:
Oh, ok. Do you know how to treat ick?
I am not very knowledgeable on this topic but Someone on here might be able to tell you how.
For a smaller tank, yes. I am treating my 5 Gallon right now. But as for a 55 gallon with multiple fish, I am unsure of how to treat it

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom