Ich In Glofish... What’s The Best Treatment Option? Question 

TheBettaSushi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hey all! So I’ve never personally have gone through treating ich but I know what it looks like and have heard/read that it can be treated in multiple ways (heat, aquarium salt, meds). I came across this article but not sure if I should go this route.

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

There are 4 glofish tetras and 1 glofish rainbow shark in a 10 gallon cycled tank... before you go chewing my head off, my fiancé purchased the shark on impulse not knowing that his tank isn’t suitable so i will be moving it to a 44 gallon once I get it up and running by the end of this year. He was supposed to get two more tetra glofish but bought the shark instead... don’t ask me why... it was a pretty dumb move on his part. He just didn’t know as it’s his first tank and I unfortunately was not there on the day he went to get them... I just gave him step by step instructions on how to acclimate them beforehand. The intention was to have 6 glofish tetras in his tank (per aqadvisor, I can easily accommodate 6 with the tank size and filter and have more than enough filtration capacity for it... the shark ruined it though). They were purchased from the same place so I didn’t even think to quarantine them since they were all housed in the same tank and they would be the first inhabitants in the 10 gallon.

The tank is heated to 77 or 78 degrees... can’t remember what I set it to as the tank is located at his office so I have no way of getting the exact temp right this moment.

There’s an aquaclear 20 hob filter as well as a large bubble wand aerating the tank.

I noticed that two out of the 4 tetras have white spots. I’ve only noticed it on their fins as it’s hard to tell if it’s on their bodies. I noticed this today as I was doing a water change/gravel vac in the tank so not sure when it actually started. Must have been sometime within the last few days.

I’m trying to eradicate this as quick as possible. I also don’t have another tank to quarantine them in.

Readings are fine. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite 20ish ppm nitrates before the water change today.

Any suggestions?

Should I bump the temp up to 86 degrees?

Should I use aquarium salt?

What is the best way to go about this?

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's probably best just to use an Ick med. "Rid Ich" seems to be one of the most recommended meds. If its just a few spots on the fins, might try upping the temp. To 86 degrees, w/ thorough gravel vacs every other day. Going that route is a lot of work with a lower probability of eliminating the parasite.

TheBettaSushi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A201 said:
It's probably best just to use an Ick med. "Rid Ich" seems to be one of the most recommended meds. If its just a few spots on the fins, might try upping the temp. To 86 degrees, w/ thorough gravel vacs every other day. Going that route is a lot of work with a lower probability of eliminating the parasite.
So meds are a better choice since it’s less work?

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No, meds are a better choice due to the increased likelihood of success.

TheBettaSushi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Geoff said:
I’ve had two ich outbreaks and both times, I followed the heat method laid out in this thread with success. I highly recommend it.

ICH (ICK) Life Cycle and Natural Treatment
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/index.php?threads/ICH-(ICK)-Life-Cycle-and-Natural-Treatment.153206/
Perfect. Thank you. I’ll tell my fiancé to bump the temp up within several hours until it reaches to 86 degrees. Do you suggest removing the gravel and keeping it soaked in old tank water? There’s about an inch and a half of gravel. The tank was just recently cycled about 3 weeks ago. I’m just afraid to go through a mini cycle if we go with that route.

Geoff

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't remove the gravel. I didn't, albeit I had sand lol. You can just do a gravel vac every time you do a water change.

TheBettaSushi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A201 said:
No, meds are a better choice due to the increased likelihood of success.
I’ll have him try the heat method first and see if that resolves it in a couple of weeks. If not, then I’ll go ahead and get meds. Hopefully I won’t need it though. Thank you.

Geoff said:
I wouldn't remove the gravel. I didn't, albeit I had sand lol. You can just do a gravel vac every time you do a water change.
Alright thank you.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom