Help Ich In Betta/tetra Tank

elding14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a betta in a 10 gallon with a small school of 5 neon tetras. I’ve had the setup going for about a week now and it seems to be working very well as the tetras have plenty of hiding spots and the betta can’t seem to pick one out of the group. However, I noticed two days ago that ich had cropped up with the tetras. I treated with salt but it has only spread to my betta. I and everyone else in my house are almost weirdly attached to this betta and would be very upset to lose him. Would you recommend I continue with salt or switch to ich-x? Thank you so much for your help.

elding14

Valued Member
Reaction score
What is the temperature and parameters of the tank? The best treatment you can do is higher temps, lots of water changes and cleaning the gravel, and maybe some salt if it doesn't go away. What tetras do you have?
The temperature is 79, I can’t chance the params at the moment but I’m going to my lfs today so I’ll pick up a test kit, and I have neon tetras. Im definitely more concerned about the betta but whatever will cure the ich fastest is what I’m looking for

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The temperature is 79, I can’t chance the params at the moment but I’m going to my lfs today so I’ll pick up a test kit, and I have neon tetras. Im definitely more concerned about the betta but whatever will cure the ich fastest is what I’m looking for
If you want the fastest way to cure ich, then medication usually does it. Bettas also aren't supposed to be with neon tetras as they have temperature differences.

elding14

Valued Member
Reaction score
If you want the fastest way to cure ich, then medication usually does it. Bettas also aren't supposed to be with neon tetras as they have temperature differences.
I’m aware that there is a temperature difference but the advised temps for the two do overlap

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
it’s been running with fish for a little over two months.
So when you said "I’ve had the setup going for about a week now", you meant the Tetras in there? If that's the case, they may have brought the Ich with them. If you turn your tank temp up to around 86F, the parasite will mature through its different phases of growth faster. It's only susceptable to the medication when it's free- floating so it's important to complete the entire recommended dosage schedule included with the medication.

Kuebeecee

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I can’t speak for the Tetras as I treated Ich for my Betta, and just my Betta. (He lives alone in a 10 gallon)

When I came back from vacation I was horrified to see my Betta COVERED in Ich. I felt as though it was too late to wait it out the temperature method way, so I opted for medicine. I immediately turned the temperature up and got his tank to 86 degrees in the span of one day. I then purchased Ick Guard and waited 24 hours after the tank had been at 86 degrees and started the treatment.

I presoaked one tablet and poured it into the tank after I did a 50% water change. 48 hours later I did a 25% water change and added a presoaked half tablet into the tank. 48 hours later I did a 50% water change and added a presoaked tablet into the tank. I then turned the temperature down to 84 degrees and waited another 48 hours and did a 50% water change. I added the carbon filter back in and checked my Betta closely every day to see if he was infected again. After a week of no treatment I turned to water temperature back down to 80 degrees and monitored my Betta for another week. Success!

It is up to you how to wish to approach the situation. I figured my attempt and success might be helpful in making that decision. Using medicine terrified me and it pained me to do it, but my Betta was so sick. I can say that during his treatment he became so lethargic and I did not think he would make it, but after about the third day he was back to normal. He had some fin damage after all was said and done. (I believe he developed fin rot during the whole ordeal.) After he was cured he had no problems getting his beautiful tail back to normal.

I am “oddly” attached to my Betta too and, to be honest, those were the worst three weeks I have ever endured. Seeing him fight through it was amazing and I felt so terrible for him through the entire process.

Also - do not mix medicine with salt. It should be one or the other. I believe if you mix the two treatments it could potentially harm your fish.

Good luck!

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can’t speak for the Tetras as I treated Ich for my Betta, and just my Betta. (He lives alone in a 10 gallon)

When I came back from vacation I was horrified to see my Betta COVERED in Ich. I felt as though it was too late to wait it out the temperature method way, so I opted for medicine. I immediately turned the temperature up and got his tank to 86 degrees in the span of one day. I then purchased Ick Guard and waited 24 hours after the tank had been at 86 degrees and started the treatment.

I presoaked one tablet and poured it into the tank after I did a 50% water change. 48 hours later I did a 25% water change and added a presoaked half tablet into the tank. 48 hours later I did a 50% water change and added a presoaked tablet into the tank. I then turned the temperature down to 84 degrees and waited another 48 hours and did a 50% water change. I added the carbon filter back in and checked my Betta closely every day to see if he was infected again. After a week of no treatment I turned to water temperature back down to 80 degrees and monitored my Betta for another week. Success!

It is up to you how to wish to approach the situation. I figured my attempt and success might be helpful in making that decision. Using medicine terrified me and it pained me to do it, but my Betta was so sick. I can say that during his treatment he became so lethargic and I did not think he would make it, but after about the third day he was back to normal. He had some fin damage after all was said and done. (I believe he developed fin rot during the whole ordeal.) After he was cured he had no problems getting his beautiful tail back to normal.

I am “oddly” attached to my Betta too and, to be honest, those were the worst three weeks I have ever endured. Seeing him fight through it was amazing and I felt so terrible for him through the entire process.

Also - do not mix medicine with salt. It should be one or the other. I believe if you mix the two treatments it could potentially harm your fish.

Good luck!
That's right, sorta. Ich is an opportunistic parasite. But, it doesn't and can't lie 'dormant' and suddenly appear. It can be present in a tank (introduced on new plants or objects from other tanks) and infect fish at levels that are missed or undetected (one white spot). -the parasite will eventually multiply and compromise the fish, especially if the fish is immunocompromised, injured, stressed etc.

Kuebeecee

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That's right, sorta. Ich is an opportunistic parasite. But, it doesn't and can't lie 'dormant' and suddenly appear. It can be present in a tank (introduced on new plants or objects from other tanks) and infect fish at levels that are missed or undetected (one white spot). -the parasite will eventually multiply and compromise the fish, especially if the fish is immunocompromised, injured, stressed etc.
Ich was introduced to my tank after adding new fish. (Skipped the QT and suffered the consequences.) The introduced fish died shortly before I left for vacation and when coming home it had spread to my Betta. (This all happened within one week)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom