Ich in a cycling tank

kakinee

I am very new to aquariums and need a little help before I just give up on the whole thing! I have a 30 gallon tank that is about 3 weeks old that is still cycling. I have 2 platys, 1 male swordtail (female recently died), and 2 african dwarf frogs. I am taking regular readings and have yet to see any nitrite but the ammonia has been up for the last 2 weeks. I have started doing daily water changes in the last week after loosing a female swordtail but now I notice my two platys have what looks like ich. I am very frustrated with the slow cycling process and now to add a disease on top of that is very disheartening :'( !! How can I treat my tank for ich without hurting the cycle process and also harming my little guys? I am particularly concerned about the little frogs because they really seem to be thriving even though my fish are looking diseased. I don't want to put a chemical or something in the tank that will hurt them too. I'm about to give up - didn't know it was going to be so hard. Any advice is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

inuyasha_lover_21

What you can do is first quarantine the sick fish. That way you won't harm the frogs.

kakinee

My understanding from what I read about ich is even if I take out the sick fish the tank itself will still be infected. Is that correct?? Instead, should I quarantine my healthy frogs and treat the main tank?

inuyasha_lover_21

That will work. Just make sure the med is all cleared out of the tank before they go back in.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom