Ich - I used the wrong medication- fastest way to remove????

1. tropicalover Initiate Member

After coming back from a trip I discovered that my dwarf gourami was colorless and had white spots all over him. (A fish my family member had picked up from her friend had been placed in my aquarium while I was gone.) I freaked out and went to the store to buy air stones so I could raise the temp. I also purchased an expensive medication- General Cure API- that I was told would solve the problem. Now it has been a day, I have educated myself on ich and now have come to find out this medication is useless- General Cure by API. I have also raised the temp to 82- but have also learned that high temp + med = bad. SO... I am stuck. My gourami is on death's door barely breathing and my cherry barbs as well as neons are showing white spots as well. I don't know what I should do. My filter cartridge does not have any carbon in it, but I don't want to replace it with a new one with carbon to destroy the BB. So my question is, what is the fastest way to remove medication- ie: insert a bag of carbon in the tank? water changes? OR should I just keep medicating?

2. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Hi :)

I'm sorry to hear about your fish. What you can do to not lose your BB, is to cut out the floss surrounding the cartridge and place it behind the new cartridge with fresh carbon in it. That way you can remove the meds and not risk losing your cycle.

I would use the heat treatment only, adding air stones and doing gravel vacs every other day to pick up the ich spores.

Here's a thread for more info:

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...206-ich-ick-life-cycle-natural-treatment.html

I hope your fish recover but depending on how far it's progressed, some may not make it.

3. Skyy2112 Member Member

Place carbon into filter, carbon wont kill your bacteria, (in my experience medications do)

Carbon will absorb medications,

Vac gravel daily

CHECK WATER. This is huge. If you are running a bad bacteria based on the meds used, you absolutely need to know. Ich + Amm poisoning is deathrow.

Between airstones + filter you should see air bubbles, when raising temp it reduces the air in water.

Raise temp to 86 once carbon has been introduced for 24 hours.

Raising temp will speed the cycle of ich, and lastly drop it off your fish into the substrate. (You MUST vac daily)

Hopefully with all of this your fish will get better.

Hopefully fish will appear better once Carbon has been added and medication starts to remove.

And daily waterchanges should also

4. tropicalover Initiate Member

Thank you both for your input! I just picked up carbon from the store and I am going to place it into a mesh bag I made out of quilt batting and slip it behind the cartridge. Also going to keep up with the gravel vacs you advised- Unfortunately I do not think my gourami will make it :/ he is currently on his side with uneven respiratiions. Poor guy, maybe by some miracle he will recover