Ich - Help Please

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by johnt11, Apr 24, 2017.

1. johnt11Valued MemberMember

I thought I saw small white spots on a fish that I recently introduce but didn't take much notice. Now most of the fish have them but they all appear to be acting normally.

I have bought medicine and I am gradually raising the tank temp.

Is there anything else I should be doing?

Are any fish likely to die?

How do I stop this happening in future?

2. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

Patience, it takes time for Ich to go away. You will want to follow the instructions of the medication. Some might recommend a water change after x amount of time you use it.

There's always a possibility of a fish dying from ich, but since you caught it you might save most of them. Don't be surprise you do lose some.

You will always want to quarantine your fish first before putting them in the main thank. By doing this you'll see how the fish are and if they are healthy after a few weeks put them in.

3. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Add an airstone. Most ich medications and warmer water decrease the dissolved oxygen in the water.

4. johnt11Valued MemberMember

I have a bubble wall which I sometimes use so will get that turned on. I assume that will have the same affect?

5. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Yep. You want lots of surface agitation.

6. johnt11Valued MemberMember

Feel so stupid not taking the fish out when I saw it. Bought 7 of them from a chain of shops I thought was reputable. Annoying but hopefully they will all make it.

How do I know when the ich has gone? All the fish spot free?

7. Redshark1Well Known MemberMember

All details should be on the instructions of the medication which must be followed to the letter to be effective.

I used King British WS3 as it was the best value (I have a large tank and I needed to treat a lot of water). I checked and it is still on sale 23 years later!

When the spots have gone you have to keep treating for a while longer or it will come back.

Whitespot (alternative name Ich) often occurs when fish are moved to new accomodation. Moving them around is stressful and that is when they catch diseases.

Other whitespot cures probably have the same ingredients so it doesn't really matter what brand you combine with the temperature increase required.

You need to get a move on as the disease is lethal if you don't treat it as soon as possible. Just get out there and grab whatever is available locally. Hopefully like me you may never see it again.

8. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

We've all done stupid stuff. Mix gold fish with cichilds, piranhas with tetras and getting into this hobby. Comes with the territory. We learn as we go along. If we stopped learning what's the point of living?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice