Ich Gone In A Day?

TombedOrchestra

55 Gal, 8 mollies, 12 guppies, 3 snails. All water levels good. Water temp 72.

I noticed one of my black mollies had many white spots on her last night. I got her a week ago from a LFS and all has been fine until yesterday. I immediately thought of ich so....

I began natural treatment. I turned up the heat and it increased 6 degress in 24 hrs (72-78) my plan was to increase to 82ish.

I noticed tonight that most of the white spots are gone. Is there anything that mimicks ich ? Could it have really been a case of ich that went away in 24 hrs? ... Perhaps she still has ich but it's just less visible?

Thoughts? Course of action?

Thanks!

KakeHugs

The white spots will go away pretty fast but ALWAYS continue treatment even if you don't see anything because it doesn't mean they are gone.

TombedOrchestra

The white spots will go away pretty fast but ALWAYS continue treatment even if you don't see anything because it doesn't mean they are gone.

Is increasing heat to above 80 a pretty good natural treatment or does it ALSO need medication? I really don't want to treat the whole tank for one fish. How long do I wait after getting temp up to see if it's working?

Rainy day

Well it isn't just one fish that's infected, your entire tank is infected now. Yes you can treat ich with just heat though 82 is too low to have any effect. It stops affecting other fish at 85, stops breeding at 86 and dies off at 89. If your reason for not using meds is because you're worried they'll be to harsh, I'd recommend using Kordan's herbal ich attack. It gets the job done and is very safe for your fish. Make sure it's the 100% natural bottle.

TombedOrchestra

Well it isn't just one fish that's infected, your entire tank is infected now. Yes you can treat ich with just heat though 82 is too low to have any effect. It stops affecting other fish at 85, stops breeding at 86 and dies off at 89. If your reason for not using meds is because you're worried they'll be to harsh, I'd recommend using Kordan's herbal ich attack. It gets the job done and is very safe for your fish. Make sure it's the 100% natural bottle.

Thanks for the recommendation. How long would I need to keep the tank at 89 to rid the disease in the tank? Would this high temp effect the health of the fish during 'heat treatment'?

Rainy day

Thanks for the recommendation. How long would I need to keep the tank at 89 to rid the disease in the tank? Would this high temp effect the health of the fish during 'heat treatment'?

Around 10 days should be good. Yes it can affect the health of your fish, so be sure to monitor them for any obvious signs, like lethargy. Mollies and Guppies are relatively hardy though. Make sure you're doing frequent water changes/gravel vacuuming to get rid of the ich spores and only raise the temperature 1 degree/hour. Also, add some air pumps or whatever you have to increase aeration in your tank for the duration of the treatment.

Honestly, you're better off using ich attack, IMO. It's not that expensive either. You get a decent sized bottle for 20CAD. Though at the end of the day, its your fish and your money. You do what you feel is best !

75g Discus Tank

You will need to gravel vac daily to suck up all of the ick spores to make sure they don’t attack he fish again when the water cools.

TombedOrchestra

You will need to gravel vac daily to suck up all of the ick spores to make sure they don’t attack he fish again when the water cools.

Now I feel like I might be second guessing myself. Maybe the white spots I saw really weren't ich. I've never seen this disease before (I've only been into the hobby for about a month). But, I was pretty sure there were white spots for about 12 hours. Then the next day the black mollie is pretty much all black again (pretty much zero white, or very very faded white..)

Maybe I should just wait it out and see.

Rainy day

Now I feel like I might be second guessing myself. Maybe the white spots I saw really weren't ich. I've never seen this disease before (I've only been into the hobby for about a month). But, I was pretty sure there were white spots for about 12 hours. Then the next day the black mollie is pretty much all black again (pretty much zero white, or very very faded white..)

Maybe I should just wait it out and see.

Ich works in cycles, it won't always be visible depending on what part of the life cycle they're on. I don't know what you saw so mistaken identity might be a possibility.

TombedOrchestra

Yes, I think I will probably just wait and see. I'd rather not treat the entire tank or go super aggressive with it if I must mistakenly saw something. I do see a few white spots on two other fish fins, but, idk... maybe it's just their normal color.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
awilkinson871
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
PheonixKingZ
Replies