ich cross contamination in tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

shannon66

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am treating 1 of my 10gal for ich that i got from a plant i bought at petco that they were keeping in the tank with some fish. I refuse to but fish from them because last time i did it had ich and killed a fish i had for over a yr and a half. didn't even think about the plant being in the tank with their fish.

Anyway, sorry i tend to babble. So i treated the plants with a bleach dip but it was my first time trying this method so i was nervous and probably didn't do it just right. the tank got ich. I've been treating by turning the heat up added a bit of salt and vacuuming and water changes for the past 8 days. The tank is almost completely cleared up now. I did loose 1 platy fry though.

today I was doing water changes in my other tanks and realized half way through that i was using the same vacuum and bucket that I used in the ich tank.
Now for the question, how do i clean them enough so that they're safe to use in all my tanks? Can i just soak the vacuum in really hot water and if so how long? Any suggestions appreciated, thanks

Brittany

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would soak them in hot water, but add salt. Most parasites and bugs can't handle the transition from fresh water to marine, so it will kill them off.

Some people recommend bleach, but I disagree. Salt is much safer to use. Good luck, hope this helps.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would soak them in hot water, but add salt. Most parasites and bugs can't handle the transition from fresh water to marine, so it will kill them off.

Some people recommend bleach, but I disagree. Salt is much safer to use. Good luck, hope this helps.
I've never heard this suggestion before. If you do it. make sure you thoroughly rinse the salt off before using the equipment again.

Brittany

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I've never heard this suggestion before. If you do it. make sure you thoroughly rinse the salt off before using the equipment again.
My current biology teacher used to be a marine biologist. He studied multiple parasites commonly found in fishtanks under a microscope and tried both the bleach and salt method. He found that salt killed ALL of the parasites (one of them being ich) and bleach only killed a few. So I say why not kill some that you may not know you have, while killing the problem.

Brittany

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
One of my old biology teachers used to be a marine biologist. He studied multiple parasites commonly found in fishtanks (including ich) and found that salt killed all of them, while bleach only killed a few. I say why not kill ones that you might not know of, while killing the main problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom