Important Ich Attack!!! why it becomes worse after medication

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerrrdd

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The ich has probably been in the tank for 5days or less. I just realized it yesterday. So what I did was put coppersafe in the tank and raise the temperature by 1-2 degree. The molly look happier after I put the medication. They swim normal unlike before where they pretty much dont move/ move only a little bit.

Today, this 1 white female Molly (pregnant) swim so fast around the tank and it shimmy. I wonder if she is itchy or wanting to give birth.

Another one just stay at the bottom on top of the gravel. t fins not clamp, just stay in bottom.

And... the ich becomes worse!! I barely see any yesterday. It was only on 1 fish and little ich on it. Today, it spreads t others and the ich becomes more visible.

Ammonia 0
ph 7.6 or 7.8
nitrate 0
nitrite 5

should I be worry? Any suggestion? when will the ich dissapear?

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
First off I would try to quarantine any fish showing visible signs....because it will hit your entire tank.

Second start slowly raising the temp in your tank. I believe ich can be completely killed off at 86 to 88 degrees F. Although this will not take care of the ich that is actually on the fish.

Third I believe water changes are a requirement but not 100% with changing while trying to raise your tank temps.

nerrrdd

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
it has spreaded to all fish in the tank : (

and I am still raising the temp to 86F. right now i am at 83F.

I was just shocked how it become worse after medication. I guess I'll do water change 25% once every 2 days. I hope it helps.

Is there any sign from the fishes that I should be aware of.. like if they are abt to die or getting worse and what to do.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Medication is usually only effective in killing one stage of ich's life cycle.
If it's a really bad infestation, you can use a heat treatment along with the meds.
Slowly raise the temp to about 86F. Leave it there for two weeks.
Increase aeration to make up for less oxygen in the warmer water and do gravel vacs and water changes to get rid of any unhatched cysts.

I have to respectfully disagree with blkdeath75.
Once one fish shows symptoms of ich, they all have been exposed and the whole tank should be treated.

Here's a good read about the life cycle of ich:
Ich

nerrrdd

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks Lucy,

I really like the part where it says turn the temp to 90 then 48 hours later slowly to 70. What I am wondering, wount my fish die at 90F? isnt that too hot?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Sorry that you and your fish are dealing with ICH!

I do not recommend that you increase the temperature to 90 and then drop it down to 70. That just doesn't sound good at all.

Increase the temperature to 86 degrees and leave it there for a full two weeks. Do two gravel vacuums each week to remove the spores that fall off the fish and into the substrate. Adding an air stone will help to increase the oxygen supply as warmer waters require more oxygen.

Note: ICH may appear worse before it gets better. There is no need to quarantine for ICH. If one fish is infected the entire tank is infected and needs to be treated.

I keep seeing posts of people taking 2, 3 or 4 days to increase the temperature to 86. I suggest raising it 2 degrees to start...wait an hour or so once it's been reached then increase it 2 more degrees, wait a bit and do it again until you reach 86.

The longer you take to reach 86 increases the chances of your fish being exposed to ICH that much longer. Yes, sudden temperature changes can be fatal to your fish. Example: taking a fish from a tank at 79 degrees and putting it in a tank of 72 degrees. This could be fatal. Increasing your temperature slowly throughout the day should not do any harm to your fish.

Best of luck for a full recovery!

Ken

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Great advice from Ken-

the higher temperature speeds up the ICH's life cycle, so really what you are seeing is what will inevitably happen anyway, just cycling through it faster.

Add an air stone to keep the O2 level high in the tank.

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just got done dealing w/ ich. Good ideas from everyone. I actually did daily water changes and substrate vacs which seemed to make my little babies happy. It was a long two weeks, but I only lost 1 fish so it was worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom