ICH and water changes

1. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I have/had ich in my 10 gal tank and this is the second week with the heat pumped up. I usually do my water changes on sat but was wondering since I use the same gravel vac for all of my tanks (I have the lee's ultimate gravel vac that hooks up to the sink) can I transfer any ICH to my other tanks?

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +236
    I have one python that services all of my tanks. Anytime I've had some fish with ich, I just did that tank last. It's never spread to the other tanks. Ich is often a reflection of water quality and overall health of the fish (not all fish are created equal). Does every fish have it or just specific ones? If every fish or a majority of the fish are sick, then it's probably due to the water. HOwever, if only a few fish have it, it could be that they are just generally weak fish. I think overbreeding has had a hand in the matter. Also, some species are more suceptible to it than others.

3. OP
    OP
    redlessi

Ratings:
    +5
    I only have 1 really small goldfish in the tank ( I know tanks too small).

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +236
    If your other tanks are healthy and have good water quality then you have nothing to worry about.

5. ray_sj

ray_sj Member Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I also do what Jaysee suggests. I just clean any sick or suspect tanks last. After use, I run hot water through the hose, let it sit for 5 minutes, and then let everything air dry before I use it again. Ich is not supposed to be able to survive without water.

6. OP
    OP
    redlessi

Ratings:
    +5
    thanks much

7. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +1,364
    This is only my personal opinion but since ich is a parasite, I beleive it can be tranfered. If I ever suspect something is wrong or someone is sick. I sterilize any equipment between tanks.