ICH and water changes

1. redlessi Well Known Member Member

I have/had ich in my 10 gal tank and this is the second week with the heat pumped up. I usually do my water changes on sat but was wondering since I use the same gravel vac for all of my tanks (I have the lee's ultimate gravel vac that hooks up to the sink) can I transfer any ICH to my other tanks?

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I have one python that services all of my tanks. Anytime I've had some fish with ich, I just did that tank last. It's never spread to the other tanks. Ich is often a reflection of water quality and overall health of the fish (not all fish are created equal). Does every fish have it or just specific ones? If every fish or a majority of the fish are sick, then it's probably due to the water. HOwever, if only a few fish have it, it could be that they are just generally weak fish. I think overbreeding has had a hand in the matter. Also, some species are more suceptible to it than others.

3. redlessi Well Known Member Member

I only have 1 really small goldfish in the tank ( I know tanks too small).

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

If your other tanks are healthy and have good water quality then you have nothing to worry about.

5. ray_sj Member Member

I also do what Jaysee suggests. I just clean any sick or suspect tanks last. After use, I run hot water through the hose, let it sit for 5 minutes, and then let everything air dry before I use it again. Ich is not supposed to be able to survive without water.

6. redlessi Well Known Member Member

thanks much

7. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

This is only my personal opinion but since ich is a parasite, I beleive it can be tranfered. If I ever suspect something is wrong or someone is sick. I sterilize any equipment between tanks.