ICH and water changer????? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Junne, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

My 2 Cardinals that I got last week just came down with ICH :(

My question is, I have 3 tanks running. They are in the QT tank and I have been using my aqueon water changer between all of the tanks.

Is it possible to transfer the ICH to my other 2 healthy tanks? If so, should I flush out the water changer with hot water?

Anything else I can do?

Thanks!

This is the first time I have had to deal with ICH. :mad:

Junne

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Theoretically I guess it's possible. I know it's alot of trouble but a quick rinse with diluted bleach water and a good rinse with dechlorinated water between tanks until the Ich issue is resolved would take care of the off chance of spreading ICH.
    carol

3. OP
    OP
    Junne

Thank you. I will do that :)

4. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, it is possible to spread the disease. It reproduces through spores. Go ahead and flush the changer.... Have you read about using the heat method to cure ich? It's in a sticky in the disease section. :) Cardinals should take well to the treatment, as they like warmer water.

EDIT: Ninja'd XD

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Allowing the water changer to dry completely before using it on another tank will safe guard it too.

6. OP
    OP
    Junne

Great idea but that might be difficult to do with all of the tubing,etc
    I usually use my change EVERY week too ;)

Eienna - I just bought another heater ( Aqueon pro ) since my old heater was not adjustable - I have it set to 80 and will keep increasing as per instructions. Thanks~!

7. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

If I need to use a water changer between to tanks I pour vinegar through it and wipe it down then rinse.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice