Ich And Skinny Tetra

BHK3
I did the dumb thing that aquarists everywhere know not to do, and yet still do from time to time. I didn't QT new fish. I had 55 gallon with some cherry shrimp, a variety of snails (nerite, mystery, assasin & MTS), and BN Pleco, 11 Metae Corydoras, and 8 Rummynose tetras. Decided to get several more Rummynoses, didn't have a spare tank, and decided to add them in to my tank. Ich rapidly reared its head. I have two issues, one of which is directly related to the Ich, the other one I'm not sure...

1. I cranked the heat to 86 as soon as I saw signs of Ich. Within a few days there was some improvement but not as much as I expected to see (I've dealt with ich this way a couple times before). I waited a couple more days and started dosing Paraguard. Saw some more improvement but again, not as much as I would think. I ran out of Paraguard after three doses over the course of a week. So then I did a few rounds of Metro, also over the course of one week until I ran out of it. So now it's been two weeks at high heat, with two different courses of meds. One tetra still has a single spot, but I supposed it's possible it could be something other than Ich. I've been trying to avoid heavy duty meds because of the inverts. So far I haven't lost anyone (fish or invert), but I'm worried I may not have defeated the Ich altogether. Should I just keep the temp up for another week? Is there something better I should try? My water parameters are 0/0/5-20 depending on how close I am to a water change (I'm monitoring it closely and had been doing WCs and vacuuming before dosing meds) and I have two air stones running to keep the tank oxygenated.

2. A few days ago I noticed two of the Rummynoses lookes especially skinny. I would be worried about parasites if I hadn't just done two weeks with Paraguard and Metroplex! But I'm not sure what else it could be. The two fish seem to be swimming normally, eating, not flashing or exhibiting any other unusual behavior. They may be having a slightly harder time swimming, but it's hard to tell if it's just their smaller size or something else. It was impossible to get a good close up of the fish, but here's a video of one of them. Hopefully you can get an idea of its behavior and size compared to the others. Do you think the fish is sick, or just potentially smaller/younger from the new batch of fish?

Advertisement
Adriifu
I think you should continue leaving the heat on with an addition of water changes for another week until you're certain that everything is okay.
Your tetras appear to be quite active and healthy, so I wouldn't worry much. You may possibly be underfeeding. Try giving them a bit more food for a few days to see if it helps. Feel free to update me on the process. Good luck

BHK3
Thanks! I definitely put a concerted effort into not overfeeding, so hopefully I'm not too far on the other end. I feed them once a day, but I'll bump that up to twice and see how that goes. I appreciate the advice!

Adriifu
Thanks! I definitely put a concerted effort into not overfeeding, so hopefully I'm not too far on the other end. I feed them once a day, but I'll bump that up to twice and see how that goes. I appreciate the advice!
No problem! I'm sure your fish will be alright

BHK3
Just wanted to share an update on this for everyone who helped with advice. The ich treatment was successfully completed last week and I've been gradually getting the them back to normal.

Starting two weeks I also increased the amount of food I was feeding in hopes of helping the two skinny tetras. Sadly there was no improvement and they both continued to wither away. Their appetite started to dwindle over the last few days and one of them started to struggle swimming (it was the half swim half float of a fish that was dying) so I humanely euthanized them. All of the other tetras are doing great and showing no sign of illness. I wish I knew what happened to these two, but I suppose it will remain a mystery.

Not the outcome I was hoping for, but the other survivors are all thriving. I appre iate everyone's help on this issue!

Adriifu
Just wanted to share an update on this for everyone who helped with advice. The ich treatment was successfully completed last week and I've been gradually getting the them back to normal.

Starting two weeks I also increased the amount of food I was feeding in hopes of helping the two skinny tetras. Sadly there was no improvement and they both continued to wither away. Their appetite started to dwindle over the last few days and one of them started to struggle swimming (it was the half swim half float of a fish that was dying) so I humanely euthanized them. All of the other tetras are doing great and showing no sign of illness. I wish I knew what happened to these two, but I suppose it will remain a mystery.

Not the outcome I was hoping for, but the other survivors are all thriving. I appre iate everyone's help on this issue!
That's great. I'm glad the rest of your fish are all right

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jerome O'Neil
  • Question
Replies
Views
Pwilly07
Replies
Views
Dis13SM