Ich and shrimps?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Josianne Thessereault, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Josianne Thessereault

Josianne ThessereaultNew MemberMember

Hello guys,

I recently bought 3 cardinal neons from a local petstore, and one of them infected my whole tank with Ich. Being new in the hobby, I omitted to quarantine the new fish. I understand that I have to crank up the heater to 86f, but I was wondering if my shrimps could tolerate a higher temperature... I have a vampire shrimp and a bamboo shrimp. I increased the temperature to 84f, added an air stone for oxygen, but I'm unsure about setting the temp higher. The bamboo shrimp seems alright, but my vampire shrimp has been hiding since it molted this morning. So I have no clue how it's doing.

my readings are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates. I performed a water change before adding my fish a few days ago.

Also, I bought aquarium salt to treat my neons if the heat method does not work. Will my shrimp tolerate the salt as well? I know a few kind actually need brackish water to reproduce - But I'm not sure about the amount of salt they can take.

I was going to dose two tablespoons of salt (I have a ten gallons), but I'm aware that neons are sensitive to salt.

I need your advice.

2. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    The shrimp should be fine at that temp.
    As for salt, I wouldn't use it.
    What test kit are you using?

3. OP
    OP
    Josianne Thessereault

Thank you! :) I'm using the API liquid test. It was recommended by a friend.

4. I keep fish

I keep fishWell Known MemberMember

ICH is so frustrating trust me. I would continue the heat method with gravel vacs every day.
    If you see no progress you may need to medicate and your problem is shrimp are sensitive to all of the copper based treatments so if you decide to medicate your shrimp you will need a different tank.

If you have any more questions refer to this helpful article:
    https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/CuringIch.htm

5. Anders247

OK, did you bang the #2 nitrate bottle really hard? You need to do that to get a reading, I doubt the nitrates are 0.

6. OP
    OP
    Josianne Thessereault

Thank you for your quick replies! :D

I'll raise the temperature a bit and vacuum daily. I hope I see some changes.

I actually did shake the bottle hard - It says to do so for 30 seconds before adding the 10 drops. I might have done it wrong though, I'll try it again just in case and update if there's a change.

7. Bluestreakfl

BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

Kordon makes a product called Ich attack that is made from natural compounds, copper free, and completely safe for invertebrates such as shrimp and snails. Ive used it before with great success. If you decide to medicate, it would be my recommendation.

8. OP
    OP
    Josianne Thessereault

I'll look for Ich Attack, it might be a good alternative.

Problem is, they might not sell it in Canada. Still worth looking for it, I hope I can find it!

9. Dolfan

DolfanFishlore VIPMember

Amazon Canada for the win....

I have also used it safely with shrimp no issues. Another good benefit, is that it also helps treat some types of fungus. Kordon makes another product called Rid Fungus, which is the same exact product just with different label. They both treat ich and certain types of fungus and are safe for inverts.

10. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

11. OP
    OP
    Josianne Thessereault

Just an update guys:

I went to the store and did not find any of the product mentioned. I have found Rid Ich Plus though, but after looking at reviews online concerning shrimps, I decided not to use it, as it did not say it was safe for invertebrates like Ich Attack.

I raised my temperature to 86f, and I can see a difference: my fish look better and they are slowly getting rid of tomites. I'll keep vacuuming daily to remove them until then.

Another question though: My vampire shrimp was molting at the moment I started raising my temperature, does it have an effect on it? The little guy has been hiding for several days and still looks "soft".

Thanks for your replies. I will order Rid Fungus on Amazon just in case. :)

12. Anders247

Does the raised temp have an effect on the shrimp after molting?
    I would doubt so, their temp range says up to 84 which is just under your current temp.

13. OP
    OP
    Josianne Thessereault

So I ordered Rid Fungus and I have it on hand. It says to remove the pads from my filter (I have the Hagen slim 10) and then replace them afterwards. If I do it, I will have to re-cycle my tank again? What should I do to keep the pads with the beneficial bacteria?

Sorry for the questions, it's my first time medicating.

14. Anders247

Um, I'm pretty sure all you need to do is remove the carbon, unless the product has something that will harm beneficial bacteria. If you have another tank you can put the filter pads in there, or keep them in a bucket.

15. OP
    OP
    Josianne Thessereault

Sounds good. I'll just use a bucket with water from my tank. I have a 5 gallon tank, but I do not want the Ich to contaminate my betta :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice