Ich And Shrimp

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by TheFishmonger, Aug 21, 2019.

1. TheFishmonger

TheFishmongerValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +38
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Today I noticed in my 5.5 uncycled tank that two of my celestial pearl danio fish have 2-4 ich spots. Now, I also have shrimp in the tank and hornwort. I am unsure how to treat them because of the shrimp. The shrimp have recently molted and grew rather large since I got them a week and a half ago. I have had no losses since the first four days of brining them in.

The ich probably came with the order as one fish that died on the first night and had a huge white bump on it's head. To make a long story short, I had minimal loses for an uncycled tank and things have been very stable since, so I don't want to disturb this balance I have.

I am already doing 25% water changes every day and add ice to chill the aquarium down until it cycles. Since I did this I have not had a shrimp loss.

I read the medication may kill my shrimp and seriously damage my hornwort to beyond recovery. I spent a lot of time and money and I refuse to lose any more shrimp and fish. I lost 2 fish and 4 shrimp in the first four days till they acclimated. So I am not planning on losing 5 fish and 6 shrimp to ich.

My heater can only go to 80 F. I understand that if I do large water changes it will get rid of the ich when it falls from the fish.. But what about the hornwort? Should I remove that and place it in a bucket for two weeks while I do the water changes and gravel vacuum? Will not removing the hornwort cause more stress to my celestial pearl danios and shrimp? Which medication is safe for shrimp and plants, should it be labbeled as "reef safe".. or I am better off with just the 80 F and daily water changes?

What should I do? I don't want to lose a single fish or shrimp.

2. pongoandfriends22

pongoandfriends22Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +17
    I personally had the same problem once before too! But with snails! I would say that you should remove the hornwort and shrimp to treat your tank as they do tend to be sensitive to many medications. This was really my only option as I don’t know of many other medications that treat ich that are safe for invertebrates and hornwort.

3. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,318
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Why were you adding ice? What kind of shrimp?
    To get rid of ick you need to raise the temp to 84-86 add air bubblers to get more oxygen in the tank and do 50% water changes while vacuuming the substrate. May take 2 weeks to get rid of it and at least another week with the heat to make sure it’s all dead.

4. OP
    OP
    TheFishmonger

Ratings:
    +38
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Unfortunately my heater goes only up to 80. I have red cherry shrimp in an uncycled 5.5 gallons. I didn't even acclimate them properly and was moving them from the 5.5 gallons to a bucket and back. Because the tank didn't cycle and I kept reading they need 0 ammonia. So, I found a solution. I read somewhere that ammonia is non-toxic at 0.25 ppm - 1 ppm in colder temperature. So because the 5.5 gallons heats up fast, I add ice to keep the temperature at 68-73.. maybe 76 at most. I have the heater taken out from the tank. I had lost 4 shrimp out of 10 by the time I thought that. So far it has been almost a week and the shrimp have molted and grown quite big and fast. I got them at 0.5 inch a week and a half ago and I was just noticing 1-2 shrimp measuring at 1 inch and maybe a little over. So I guess if they molted they like the water parameters. So I add ice also to prevent doing frequent water changes since I was doing 3 water changes at 50% a day.. Now I am doing 25% every two days. But now with the ich, I might have to do them more often. Because of the shrimp I am thinking of passing on the medication and just do daily water changes. Maybe those white spots are not even ich, but they sure look like it.

I can't add the shrimp to the 20 gallons with the black ruby barbs, because there is not much cover and I don't want to contaminate that tank and I can't add them in buckets now that they acclimated and I haven't been having a loss. So I guess my stratergy with the means I have right now at my disposal will be.. 50%-75% water changes and lots of feeding, get the celestial pearl danios immune system up and running because I cut down a lot on feeding because I am cycling and see what happens next. Hopefully, the celestial pearl danios will be alright without medication. If they ich gets to more than just 2-4 spots on 2 fish, then I will probably buy some medication. I read that these parasites are in the water anyway and the white spots appear when the fish are stressed. I'm stressing their immune system because I am cycling. Plus the celestial pearl danios are all male and they constantly fight.

5. pongoandfriends22

pongoandfriends22Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +17
    Could you possibly set a quarantine bin tank for the shrimp? This way they won’t get affected by the medicine.

6. OP
    OP
    TheFishmonger

Ratings:
    +38
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I don't know. It's weird, the white spots are totally gone as fast as they showed up from all the fish. Must have not been ich, we will see.

7. tjander

tjanderWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +316
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Your best bet if the ich returns is to get an adjustable heater and slowly raise the temperature up. Your shrimp should be ok at higher temps for a short period. Also google a shrimp safe ich medication. I seem to remember one but can recall the name. Your going to have to be carful with water changes so not to shock your shrimp. Match all the parameters as close as you can to include temperature. Good luck